Tuesday, June 7, 2011

grungy monday #10

Hi my friends.  It's way hotter than my comfort level today.  90 last I checked.  I went out & picked some asparagus and rhubarb and watered my small garden, but now I'm inside where the AC is keeping me cool. 

I finished my card for Grungy Monday #10 today.  This is a weekly challenge celebrating the techniques and products of Tim Holtz, hostessed by Linda Ledbetter on her blog, Studio L3.  This week the challenge is to use distress inks.

I started with a piece of corrugated cardboard, which I sprayed on one side with water and let it sit for a few minutes to make it easy to remove the outer layer and reveal the texture underneath.  I tore the edges and added a bit of ivory acrylic paint on the ridges.  After letting that dry, I inked the edges with vintage photo distress ink. 

The flower is heavy interfacing cut with Tim's tattered florals die.  I inked all the layers with mustard seed distress ink and then scrunched them all up and put them together with a brad which is colored with a copic marker.  I added a little bit of vintage photo on the tips of the petals as well. 

I tore a strip of unbleached muslin and dyed it with spiced marmalade and worn lipstick DI's and dried it with my heat gun.  Then I stamped the butterflies with black archival ink.  I attached it with staples and glue dots, forming pleats.  I also added some magic mesh. 

I chose groovy guava cardstock for the base, because it matched the fabric.  The flourish is stamped in vintage photo DI.  I used my new stamps from Michaels (the only Tim Holtz stamp set I own). 

The sentiment is from a set of words that I purchased locally a number of years ago.  I just cut it out with deckle scissors and sponged the edge with vintage photo DI. 

A large brad, a metal flower from a necklace and a piece of hardware from my son's old jeans complete the card. 

Thanks so much for stopping by today.  I hope the remainder of the week is a good one for you. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying watching you explore the different Grungy Monday techniques! I love the cardboard layer and your flower is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this whole piece, Melody, but the dyed and stamped muslin is my favorite detail.... too cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Your happy comments make me smile!