Saturday, February 25, 2012

believe in magic

Hello, my friends.  It's a beautiful, sunny, but cold day today.  A good day to stay indoors and create.

The end of the month is fast approaching and that means a deadline for several challenges.  So this morning I worked on another art journal page for a challenge at OWSE Yahoo group.

We were given a list of ten words and had to use three.  I chose 'believe', 'magic', and 'young'.  I decided to write out the words in fancy, doodle letters.  After I had finished the words, I spritzed them with Adirondack color wash and cut around each word.  Since the colors are pretty bold, I chose to make my background much lighter.  I used a Crafter's Workshop stencil called paradise and sponged distress inks on randomly.  Then to tone down the bright white areas, I lightly sponged tea dye distress ink all over and around the edges.

After gluing down all the words, I knew there had to be at least one butterfly.  (Seems to be a theme of mine)  As I was playing around with color and placement, I thought it would be cool use the concept of changing from black & white to full color, so I decided to leave some butterflies all white and then have some gradually becoming colored - like magic!  haha - I love it!  The large butterflies are from SU Flores suaves, and the small ones are from CHF Vintage Butterflies.  I used tuxedo black memento ink and copic markers.

I glued all the butterflies down and then added antennae and some light butterfly trails, as well as a bit of doodling along the edges.   I like how it turned out and it didn't take me days and days to create.

Thanks so much for stopping by.  I hope you're having a great weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Wow...love your page! Your lettering is outstanding!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lettering FLOORED me!! Fabulous! And I LOVE your concept of the b/w butterflies "magically" changing! HAHA! That is the way my brain works too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, Love, Love it!! Great job Melody

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Your happy comments make me smile!