Saturday, January 16, 2010

painted ferns

Happy Saturday, everyone. Seems I haven't been here in awhile. I've been sorta taking a break. I haven't really been doing any stamping. I've been working on the quilt that you saw a couple of posts back. I finished all the blocks (48 total), have them sewn together in strips, and yesterday, I spent most of the day pinning the layers together. The next step is to baste them, so I can take the pins out before I quilt. If the pins are left in, they catch the thread you're working with and cause all kinds of problems. I would much rather baste with basting spray, but that stuff is too toxic to spray inside in the middle of winter when I can't open the doors and windows for ventilation. So I guess I have to do it the old fashioned way. It takes a lot longer to do it this way, but I don't want to wait to get started quilting. And probably long before I'm finished with this quilt, I'll have started at least one more, 'cause that's just what I like to do. The most fun for me is the creating process.

But I did do a little stamping this morning. I made a card for the inspiration challenge on SCS, using the header here for my inspiration.

I pulled out an old SU set called Ferns to use as my main image. I started by taking a piece of creamy caramel cardstock and painting on it with Apple Parchment acrylic paint. As soon as that was dry, I stamped the fern with certainly celery, rocked & rolled in always artichoke ink. I used a cutter bee piercing tool to roll along each edge for a little accent.

I added a layer underneath the image of black with one edge pinked. And the card base is always artichoke with one edge just dabbed a little with the acrylic paint.

I punched some 1/4" squares from artichoke cardstock and added them for an accent on the black.

The sentiment is from Congrats (SU). I stamped it in artichoke on certainly celery and then sponged artichoke over it to darken the celery. I layered off center some black and artichoke and popped up the sentiment strip on dimensional tape.

I didn't add any more embellishments, because I needed a card that was either masculine or non-gender. I think this one works.

Thanks so much for visiting today. Have a wonder-filled day.

1 comment:

  1. Like how you used the paint!! These ferns caught my eye too....have an idea brewing, but need to find my kitchen first!! (ick)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Your happy comments make me smile!