Thursday, October 30, 2014

fan fold leaf

Hi friends.  Today I have a card that I used in my technique class this month.  The fan fold leaf was highlighted on the Scor-pal blog.  I used a reduced version of the pattern to make my leaf fit on a card.  I'm entering my card in Scor-pal's October challenge - "more than one score - challenge #9 - fall/halloween"

My card base is SU retired close to cocoa, with a layer of black on that.  The ivory cardstock was stamped with Hero Arts leaf & floral background in creamy caramel ink (SU). 

For the leaf, I started with plain paper, which I sprayed with red and yellow homemade paint sprays.  Once the paint was dry, I traced the leaf pattern.  I used my Scor-pal to score every quarter inch, and then I fan folded the paper.  Then I flattened it back out, so I could cut out the leaf and then refold the creases.  I really love the dimension on this leaf. 

I attached a small wire at the center and glued the two sides at the center.  I used vintage photo distress ink to sponge along the edges of the leaf before attaching it to the card. 

The sentiment is from SU teeny tiny wishes.  To finish off the card, I added black punched with the word window punch and cut in half. 

Thanks so much for stopping by. 

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

neglected

Hi friends.  I see that I have been very neglectful of my blog lately.  So I guess I should show you some of the things I have been working on. 

I've done a little bit of crocheting.  Here are some small doilies that I made.  I didn't have a pattern.  I was working from a completed piece, so I made changes as I went along.  I tend to crochet very loosely, so I sometimes need more or fewer stitches as I go, so I simply adjust.  That's why I don't crochet things that have to fit someone.  This first one went in the mail today to a friend that has been going through some rough times. 
I should have placed this last one on a darker background, so it would show up better. 
I've also been making some sonobe ornaments --- a lot of paper folding!  But the end result is pretty cool and actually quite sturdy.  Each one is made from 30 squares of paper.  I've made a few with 3" squares, one with 6" squares from brown grocery bags, and a couple of other sizes.  Mostly I've been using 2-1/2" squares.  The finished size is nice for a Christmas ornament, and the pieces aren't too awkward to work with.  I made one with 2" squares, but that was more difficult to put together.  The bigger ones are the easiest.  This is just one of many that I've made so far. 
I've been making with from glossy pages from some old SU mini catalogs and magazines.  I painted this one gold, but since the paint is translucent, you can still see words and images underneath.  

And, finally, I made my first mug rug.  I started it last night and finished it this morning.  

This one is pretty simple.  I used pieces left over from other projects.  My hand quilting stitches are rather crooked, so don't look too closely.  

Thanks so much for stopping by.



Wednesday, September 24, 2014

sizzix challenge

Hi friends.  I decided to participate in this month's challenge on the Sizzix blog.  This is the inspiration for the challenge. 




Take The Sizzix Challenge!
I used the mason jar die to cut jars from white cardstock and clear acetate.  I also cut a partial from some shimmery gray cardstock for the jar cover. 


Using button, button from SU, I stamped a lot of buttons with tuxedo black memento ink and colored them with copic markers.  Some I didn't color.  All the round ones were punched out with various circle punches, but those that weren't round had to be cut out with scissors. 

Then I just started gluing them onto the jar back until the jar was filled with buttons. 

I attached the acetate to the back underneath the cover so the glue wouldn't show. 

Some faux stitching seemed appropriate with the buttons.  The jar is attached with dimensional foam tape. 

The sentiment is from rubbernecker, and is die cut with spellbinders labels seventeen. 

Thanks so much for stopping by. 

Saturday, September 20, 2014

15 things to give up to be happy with your art

Hi friends.  Today I'm giving you this link to an excellent blog post by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer that I think is well worth reading.   Hop on over there and take a look. 

Thanks for stopping by. 

Saturday, September 6, 2014

fan club challenges part 16

Hi friends.  This is the final bunch of cards from the dare to get dirty challenges on SCS. 

Two simple layouts using some designer paper.  Both of these were used in my cuttlebug class. 



I changed this blue one just a bit for class, because I didn't have enough of the floral paper.  So in class, we stamped an image and used a blender pen to spread the ink.  I like both versions. 

I hope you enjoyed seeing all the cards I made for the special challenges.  Thanks so much for stopping by. 

Friday, September 5, 2014

fan club challenges part 15

Hi friends.  Here is another installment of the cards I made for the dare to get dirty challenges on SCS. 

Gotta have coffee!

I used up some of my button stash. 

This is my favorite card out of the whole bunch. 

Thanks so much for stopping by. 


Thursday, September 4, 2014

fan club challenges part 14

Hi friends.  More cards from the dare to get dirty challenges on SCS. 

This card was so each.  The background is one piece of designer paper, so all I did was add the flags. 

A simple monochromatic card in my favorite color - blue.

Black, white and gray.

Thanks so much for stopping by.