Friday, March 28, 2008

the new and the old

The limited supplies challenge today on splitcoast was to use some embellishments that you'd purchased long ago and never used. I pulled out some metal edge tags with cork in the center. The store where I purchased them has been out of business for over a year and this package had never been opened. I'm sure I had gotten them long before that, so it was definitely time to break open the package. Yesterday I got a new set of Lizzie Anne Design stamps that I had ordered from Jacksonbelle Embellishments, and I was itchin' to play with them. I decided to pull out some card stock colors that I don't use much as well, so I started with sahara sand as the base for my image and a card base of perfect plum.

I colored the flower with markers and spritzed it with water and then stamped it on the sahara sand. I repeated this three times, so I had a cluster of blooms instead of just one. Then I took my aqua painter and went over the image to soften it a bit. After sponging the edges with plum, I backed the piece with black and added the sentiment. The next layer is a piece of dp from a mat stack. I sanded the edges and backed that with black and put those all together.

For the base layer, I stamped a flower on a square of always artichoke and then cut it from corner to corner and layered those on black. I glued them on opposite sides of the card to reflect the lines of the cork square. About this time, I realized that the card base was too plain, but since I had already glued on the triangles, I couldn't use a background stamp, so I used the tiny stamps in the same set and stamped them all over the background. I don't really like how that part of the card turned out, but I really didn't want to take the time to re-do it. I attached the image panel with mounting tape.

The cork square didn't match the colors on the card very well, so I sponged perfect plum over the cork and used black stazon on the metal edge. I pierced a hole through the cork and added some primas (another item that I just had to have and never use), which had been sponged lightly as well. Then I attached the square with mounting tape.

Supplies:
stamps: warm words (SU), in the meadow (Lizzie Anne Designs)
ink: perfect plum, always artichoke, elegant eggplant, jet black stazon
paper: perfect plum, always artichoke, sahara sand, basic black, dp (old world mat stack, DCWV)
other: sanding black, sponge, primas, brad, piercing tool, cork metal edge tag, mounting tape

I'm so glad you stopped by. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Oh Melody,this is gorgeous,love the lo and the colors!!! You did a fantastic job!TFS!

bensarmom said...

This is so pretty. I love your colors and layout.

Dee Jackson said...

I love this one too. Great layout
Dee