Saturday, July 19, 2008

Hen house?

Good morning. I woke up a bit early this morning, so I have a few minutes for a quick post. I have my OSW class this morning (I think I'm all ready).

This week's inspiration challenge on SCS was posted last night and I knew immediately what stamp I wanted to use. A bit of history -- when I was a little kid, we had an outhouse! Yup, no indoor plumbing until much later - maybe by the time I was in high school - I don't remember exactly. Anyway, when I saw this outhouse stamp years ago, I knew that I had to have it, (for the memories - haahaa!), but alas, it has been sadly neglected. But I knew I had to bring it out for this challenge.

I started by stamping the outhouse on vanilla with adirondack pitch black, then on a post-it, which I cut around the roof and used as a mask when I stamped the chicken from SU's best of cluck. I then colored the images with copic markers -- (no special effects - I'm still learning). Then I heavily sponged the edges (and more) with chocolate chip ink. I used a distressing tool on the edges, as well as the teal and chocolate layers behind it. I used my 1/16" punch to make three holes to thread the hemp through.

I then stamped the line of trees from lovely as a tree (SU) in chocolate on the really rust card base and attached the image panel with dimensional foam tape.

For a little accent, I punched a couple of photo corner punches, sponged the vanilla one and tied a piece of hemp through them and attached with the dimensional foam tape.

Now for my dilemma... What kind of sentiment do you put on a card with this image? I started looking through my stamps and when I saw this particular sentiment, I knew it would work -- how can you not grin at this image? I hope I've brought a smile to your face. And there you have it.

supplies
stamps: best of cluck, lovely as a tree (SU), outhouse (out west rubber stamps)
ink: chocolate chip, adirondack pitch black, copic markers
paper: really rust, taken with teal, chocolate chip, very vanilla
other: sponge, distressing tool, photo corner punch, 1/16" punch, natural hemp, dimensional foam tape.

I'm so glad you took the time to visit. Have a wonderful weekend.

4 comments:

jjcreations said...

Awesome card for this challenge. I like the little pieces of hemp you have tied on.

Jennifer Love said...

That is such a wonderful card! Well, for a card with an outhouse on it. hehehe! Love it!

Vianna said...

It's such a cute card!
(I too had an outhouse when I was a kid - I can relate. And frankly, I think those were better days. People may have had less possessions, but they sure had bigger hearts ...)

Julie S. said...

Hehehe -- I love this card. I am a frequent visitor to family in Alaska who still have outhouses! The size of that chicken on the outhouse is what really has me smiling! I think if I met a chicken like that one night on my way to the outhouse, well -- it would sure be a hoot! Love the humor in the whole thing, and you sure do use the sentiment well :^)