Monday, September 1, 2008

Black Magic Joy

Hello everyone. I can't believe it's September already. I guess that means that the hot summer months are almost behind us and cooler fall weather is on its way. I love fall, the cooler crisp weather, the rich colors of the fields and changing leaves. And one of my favorite things about fall is the smell of burning leaves.

Today's technique challenge on splitcoast was black magic. I've done this technique before, so it wasn't a new one for me, although the instructions were a bit different than I had done before. They said to use odorless mineral spirits with the prismacolor pencils, but I found that didn't work as well, so I chose not to use it.

I started by stamping the single coneflower (Cornish Heritage Farms) with white craft ink on a black scalloped circle that was on my desk. I think the circle could have been a tad smaller, but I made this one work. After drying the ink with my heat gun, I colored the image with prismacolor pencils, being careful to leave the white ink showing. Adding the white outline with gel pen is how I have done the black magic technique before, so I did that on this image. I then added a lot of white dots around the scallops and used my crop-a-dile to punch holes and place white eyelets at each scallop. I used a white cord to weave through the eyelets and covered the knot with a crocheted flower and a little plastic flower embellishment.

The card base is perfect plum. I certainly had not planned to use this color, but it matched the flower the best, so I went with it. I scalloped a strip of wild wasabi card stock with my scalloped border punch and added a dot in each scallop. Then I used the same punch to create faux rick rack.

The sentiment is from small script, a retired SU set.

I attached the circle with foam tape. It sounds a lot simpler than it was to create this card. I really struggled with putting all the pieces together so that the result was pleasing.

Supplies
stamps: small script (SU), single coneflower (Cornish Heritage Farms)
ink: white craft, jet black stazon
paper: perfect plum, wild wasabi, basic black
other: prismacolor pencils, white gel pen, scalloped border punch, cuttlebug, circle nestabilities, crop-a-dile, white eyelets, white cord, crocheted flower, plastic flower, foam tape

Thank you so much for stopping by today. Have a wonderfilled week.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Stunning card!!!!!