Monday, January 12, 2009

The box that almost wasn't

Hello everyone. More snow this evening. It just keeps coming. Not that I mind too much, unless I have to drive in it.

Today's technique challenge on splitcoast was an origami box with a cover. The instructions for the box part were pretty simple. You use a 12" piece of designer paper and do a lot of folding and end up with a box. I don't think the cover should have been difficult either, but I wanted to change the size a bit from the instructions. I measured carefully and had my chipboard cut and scored - put the box inside and it fit just fine. THEN... I glued the dp on the chipboard, glued the box in, and... NOW it doesn't fit right anymore. The top flap keeps popping up. Who knew that dp takes that much room? So now I'm faced with a dilemma. Do I start over? Make a new box? Make a new cover. None of those options are appealing. So I had to come up with another solution. I decided to make a latch of some sort, but I didn't want it to detract from the beauty of the box. I finally decided on a strip of dp with a punched flower on it and magnetic snaps. Of course, I couldn't find them and had to do some searching before I could use them.

The top of the box is decorated with some Spellbinders dies, a butterfly and a sunflower (but not yellow). I used a stylus to give the flower some dimension.

I also added some extra chipboard panels covered with dp on the sides of the box to give it more stability.

I'm really pleased with how this turned out, even if it did take me most of the day to figure it all out.

stamps: none
ink: elegant eggplant, always artichoke
other: butterflies 2 dies, sunflower set two dies (Spellbinders), cuttlebug, magnetic snaps, boho blossoms punch (SU), cornflower punch (Martha Stewart), sponge, foam tape

I'm so glad you stopped by today. Be blessed.

4 comments:

Starla said...

Melody~ This is just STUNNING!! Well worth the effort that went into it!!

Susan (peebsmama) said...

Your box is absolutely gorgeous. How clever of you to devise a latch when things didn't go according to plan. I really like the purple sunflower and butterfly die cuts. They add the perfect touch. I'm sure you will get years of enjoyment looking at your box and knowing your time spent was worth it.

bensarmom said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! I love your solution to your problem!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful box, love that closure! Good luck with the Spellbinder drawing and thanks for the comment my blog!