Sunday, February 15, 2009

yoyos

Good morning. It's Sunday - a new day - a new week of opportunity. I'm happy that I was able to use some leftovers today. Yesterday was my bobbin lace guild meeting, so I wasn't able to get a card done for the inspiration challenge on scs. I was going to work on it late last night, but just couldn't seem to get it together. I checked out the web site on the inspiration challenge and found Carolyn's Garden. I knew I had a bag of fabric yoyos leftover from a project from years ago that would work perfectly. I'd seen them recently when I was doing a bit of cleaning, but had to figure out where I put them. Using fabric also made this fit with the ways to use it challenge on scs. It took me awhile to figure out the layout, but I finally got one I liked.

I wanted the background to be subtle, so I stamped the lattice background (CHF) in blush blossom on vanilla card stock. The sentiment is also CHF and was stamped in chocolate chip.

I sewed buttons from my stash onto the yoyos with crochet cotton and then attached the yoyos with glue dots.

The leaves were cut freehand from some paper I picked up at a local stamp/scrap expo. It looks like it's speckled. I sponged the edges of the leaves, then scored down the center, folded in half and ran them through my crimper. Then I added glue and stuck them into the bouquet.

I had a really hard time deciding what color to use as a card base and finally went with navy. To finish it off, I added some faux stitching.

What's in it?
stamps: lattice backgrounder, sentiment (Cornish Heritage Farms)
ink: chocolate chip, blush blossom, garden green, night of navy
paper: night of navy, very vanilla, dp (unknown)
other: fabric, crochet cotton, buttons, brayer, sponge dauber, crimper

Thanks so much for stopping by. Have a blessed week.

6 comments:

Deelite said...

I love what you did with the flowers and the buttons. Your work, is always so creative.

Starla said...

Great card! After looking at the inspiration site, I LOVE the saying that you chose too!

Janice said...

Love your use of yoyos!! I really need to learn how to make these. My mother makes them and this christmas made me a quilt covered with them- 1800 in all! When I go visit this summer I am going to have her give me a little tutorial- they make wonderful flowers.

Susan (rainy) said...

Melody this is beautiful!! Those leaves are just outstanding. Love the effect of the scoring and the crimping.. So creative!!

Lori a.k.a. eeyorestayl said...

I blog hopped on over from the Blog Links Group on Stamp TV, and was checking out all your projects and fell in love with this card! I want to learn to make yo-yos!!! My MIL is going to teach me very soon! And I have marked your blog for inspiration!
Have fun!

Cindy Van Sluys said...

Love, love, love YoYos!!!! Reminds me of my grandma that quilted....miss her! Gorgeous card Melody!

XO
Cindy