Sunday, November 1, 2009

Butterflies

Hi everyone. Today I managed to get in a little stamping time and made two cards for Gina K's October release challenges, one required something popped up on the card and the other was a color challenge.

Although I used the same butterfly stamp on both cards, they are very different.

For the first card, I stamped the butterfly from Take Flight (Gina K) in black stazon two times on whisper white cardstock and sponged on apricot appeal and dusty durango ink. Then I cut them both out and sponged a little more dusty durango along the outer edges of the wings.

I stamped the different plants from Autumn Days (SU) in apricot appeal, dusty durango and chocolate chip on a piece of apricot appeal cardstock. I also stamped the butterfly again on this piece and a sentiment from the butterfly set. I backed the apricot piece with basic black and tied a ribbon (Michaels) around it and then glued it to a dusty durango card base.

I glued one butterfly directly over the stamped image and the second one was only glue along the body. I added some dimensional tape under the wings to pop them up.



For the 2nd card, the required colors were cranberry, black, gold and vanilla. I used the same butterfly, stamped on vanilla with black stazon ink. I used three prismacolor pencils with gamsol to get the color to match the cranberry cardstock. I die cut the butterfly piece using my cuttlebug and labels four nestabilties (Spellbinders). After sponging a bit of black around the edge, I added some dots and doodle lines with a black marker. I wanted to mat this on black, but the next size die in the set was much larger than I wanted, so I just used a black rectangle instead. Gold brads eliminated the blank space in each corner.

Since I had a piece of black with gold embossing (antique background - SU) left from Saturday's inspiration card, I thought it would work for this challenge. After playing around with some different layers, I decided that I liked the cranberry, vanilla, cranberry option, with the butterfly and the gold/black pieces on the front.

With all the gold embossing, the butterfly looked rather bland, so I colored over it with versamarker and clear embossed it, although that doesn't show up very well in the photo.

I wanted to use a black card base, but it looked too plain, since the design on the front piece was a bit busy, so I pulled out another retired background - Filigree (SU) and embossed it with gold as well.

The sentiment is from Everyday Flexible Phrases (SU), die cut with a smaller die from the same labels set, sponged with black and doodled with black marker. I used a strip of cranberry crisp as a faux ribbon and popped up the sentiment.

Thanks so much for stopping by today. Be blessed.

1 comment:

Linda said...

What beautiful cards! It must feel so wonderful to be so creative and productive. I HAVE to get back into making those cards - just have so little time in the day after work and all. Keep producing and enjoying your wonderful talent.