Thursday, July 1, 2010

It's not red white & blue

Happy Thursday. Today's ways to use it challenge on SCS was just that - a real challenge. We needed to make a card in honor of Canada Day or Independence Day in the US without using any blue or red. Yikes! That was very hard, but I did manage to come up with something, although I spent the better part of the day struggling with it before I was satisfied.

There is very little stamping on this card, just the sentiment from SU's fundamental phrases, which is stamped on twill with black stazon ink.

I decided to use a Sizzix die, stars #2. The large star is from a corrugated cardboard box. To remove some of the outer layer, I wet it and let the water soak in a bit. This makes it easy to pull off the flat layer and reveal the texture underneath. I like to leave some of the layer on and then paint it with acrylic paint. In this instance, I used white. Then I used chocolate chip ink to sponge around the edges.

The small star is die cut from chipboard and sponged with chocolate chip. I used my crop-a-dile to make a hole through both stars to attach the brad.

The card base is naturals ivory, then a layer of chocolate chip, and a layer of confetti tan. Both the ivory and tan are sponged. I used a nestabilities circle die to make a hole in the tan layer. Chocolate chip is sponged around the circle and then I added faux stitching around the circle and the outer edges of the tan piece. The stars are attached with dimensional tape.

I glued the twill tape down and then punched holes just above and below it so I could add some hemp to make it look like that was holding it on the card. Some antique copper brads finish off the card.

Thanks so much for stopping by today.

1 comment:

Starla said...

OOOOOO!! I REALLY like this card, Melody!! I'm betting the texture from the cardboard really adds to this in real life!! I need to keep this one in mind for those masculine teen cards!!