Saturday, January 22, 2011

Barbie inspired

Happy Saturday, my friends. It's cold out, but not quite as cold as the last couple of days. And although it was snowing this morning earlier, now the sun is shining, so it's very bright out with all the fresh snow we received this week. I may go out and shovel off the drive in a bit.

This morning I made a card for the inspiration challenge on SCS. The site was filled with Barbie dolls. They surely have changed since my daughter played with them... very much modernized. When I looked at the site last night, I was going to use this Big Ben Barbie® Doll and try to do something steampunk style, but I couldn't get it to work. So instead, I chose this Bob Mackie Golden Legacy™ Barbie® Doll to use as my inspiration.

There is no stamping on my card. I used Martha Stewart punches and Sizzix (Tim Holtz) dies, along with some paint, ink and rhinestones.

I wanted to play with grunge paper, but couldn't find it and didn't want to waste time looking for it, so I pulled out some grunge board instead. I die cut the leaf spray from the regal crest die and some flowers from tattered florals, but I ended up only using one of the flowers. I also couldn't find my gold paint dauber. It was not in the pack with the other two colors. Soooo, I pulled out some gold lumiere paint and used that instead.

This is so typical of the way I create. I pretty much have no plan, so if one thing doesn't work, I'll try something else, until I come up with something that I'm satisfied with.

I painted the grunge board pieces and then punched out several hydrangeas. I have two punches that together include three sizes of flowers. I used all the sizes, with two each on each of the blooms on the card. I sponged all the edges with black ink and then did a lot of layering. For the flower at the top, I glued the white & black flower to the gold one and then added some black leaves between. I had to snip the leaves in half to fit them under the flower. I often snip part of a leaf or stem to slip it under a flower. It is usually easier to place the leaves once the flower is glued down.

For the lower part of the card. I glued a black strip of cardstock onto a white piece and then ran a Krylon gold leafing pen along the edges of the white strip. The flowers are just glued in a row. Then I added a lot of rhinestones. I really didn't want to mess of the symmetry by adding a sentiment, so I called it finished.

Thanks for stopping by for a visit. Stay warm and have a wonderful weekend.

1 comment:

Starla said...

Well, at first I wasn't inspired to do this challenge, but your card and links may change my mind!!