a cereal box - or maybe ten! No, not me (ha ha)... the project that I've been working on for a week or so.
I had placed an order for all of the newly released distressed stains to complete my collection and knew that I was going to want some sort of box to keep them in - in an orderly (that means alphabetical) fashion, so I wouldn't have to search for the color I wanted. In addition to wanting something very specific in size, I'm also very frugal and not willing to spend a lot of money on it, so out came my stash of cereal box chipboard, rotary cutter and mat (quilting supplies), glue (my favorite for gluing large areas of anything paper related is PVA), etc.
Much inspired by Laura Denison of The Paper Trail, I started by gluing layers of cereal box chipboard together and then letting them dry underneath a stack of books. I ended up using four layers, which is approximately 1/8" thick and quite sturdy. Lots of measuring and cutting involved. At each corner joint, I adhered the sides together with strips of brown paper grocery bags.
I used several sheets of designer paper from an older stack (I think DCWV) to cover both the inside and outside of the box.
For the top of the box, I found a shape online that I liked, copied it into a word document and then stretched it out to the size I wanted - actually two sizes to layer. Then I printed it on paper, folded it into quarters and cut it out to make a pattern. I cut the final pieces from cereal box covered with DP and then embossed it in my cuttlebug. I glued the pieces together and then added a bazillion copper brads and glued it to the top of the box.
On the back side of the box, I used grungeboard for hinges, attached with paper fasteners.
On the ends of the box, I die cut two pieces of chocolate chip card stock with styled labels die (Sizzix), embossed them, cut them so part fit to the box top and part to the bottom. The faux enamel pieces are made by printing some words on my computer, punching with an oval punch and embossing three times with UTEE.
On the front, I made a faux lock by die cutting a piece of brushed copper card stock with hardware findings die (Sizzix) and then using a circle punch to get just the part I wanted. The piece behind it is card stock die cut with a Spellbinders labels die and embossed.
All of the corner pieces are card stock. The small circles that look like nail heads are punched from brushed copper card stock.
For the inside dividers, I cut cheap card stock into strips 5.5" x 1.5", scored every 1.25". I folded each score line, added glue on the 1/2" tab and glued it by pressing it flat and then opening it into a square tube. Then these are glued together in rows. Because I made the box to fit, the dividers fit pretty snugly inside.
There were a number of 'learning' mistakes made as I went along, but overall, I am really pleased with the final result. I did not add a lot of dimensional embellishments on the outside, because I want to be able to stack this, if necessary, and I lean toward practical rather than decorative. I forgot to add a ribbon or chain to hold the cover when open, but I can live with that. I'm thinking about adding a picture of some sort to the top embellishment, as well as something inside the cover, but my colored ink cartridge is out of ink and I haven't had a chance to get out and buy a new one, so that will have to wait.
I would love to hear your comments. Thanks for stopping by.