Friday, October 28, 2011

black purple and orange...

but it's not Halloween.  Happy weekend, my friends. Goodness, it's been awhile since I've posted.  I guess I just haven't created anything.  Sometimes I pull out things to play with, maybe try some new techniques or use a new die, but never complete a project, because there is just no cohesion.  Does that happen to you?  And other times I can sit down and make several cards with no problem at all. 

I was doing some blog surfing and saw a card using Tim Holtz' gridlock embossing folder with the grid lines to the front rather than the square bumps and really liked the look.  I don't know why I thought it should be the other way.  So that was the beginning of my card, which I made for the Inspiration Emporium October monthly challenge.  It's a color challenge - hence my title.  Now I know these colors are often associated with Halloween, but I have no desire to make a card for that, so mine has a big flower instead. 

I embossed a piece of ivory in the gridlock folder and then sponged it with pumpkin pie, spiced marmalade and dusty concord inks, with some black soot along the edges.  I adhered that to a black card base. 

I stamped classic bloom (Hero Arts) three times on some orange designer paper with tuxedo black memento ink and colored them with copic markers.  I was not going to completely cover the design on the paper, but decided I liked the darker orange.  I cut them out, cutting in between many of the petals, so I could add some dimension to the flower.  The edges were all sponged with black soot distress ink.  Then I crumbled the flowers and gently opened them back up, gluing them so the petals were offset on each layer. 

For the center of the flower, I used a Martha Stewart bachelor button punch, punching six layers from some black cardstock.  After crumbling them and straightening them out a bit, I attached them all to the flower with a black brad.  Then I fluffed the centers so there is a lot of dimension.  I really like how that turned out.  I should have taken a picture from the side, so you could see how much dimension there is, but my camera battery died.  But trust me when I say the flower is about 1/2" high.

The purple flourish is a Sizzix die (decorative accent w/ flower) and the sentiment is from vintage labels (SU). 

I'm so glad you stopped by for a visit.  I hope your weekend is wonderful. 

4 comments:

Starla said...

I like it!! Very fall(ish) looking!

Marjie Kemper said...

Beautiful! Love that grid folder and how you've colored it.

andrea stamps said...

your card is gorgeous!!!!

Purple said...

Beautiful :D