Wednesday, November 23, 2011

neglected

Hello, my friends.  Happy Thanksgiving to all of you celebrating tomorrow.  I have really been neglecting my blog.  It's not that I haven't created anything... just haven't taken time to post anything. 

Last week I started a free online class at willowing.ning.com on making mandalas.  While I love the end product, I can't say that I am totally enjoying the process of getting there.  It's somewhat meticulous and I guess I prefer quick and easy.  Many of the class participants have said how relaxing it is, but I don't find it that at all. 

It's all based on circles that are symmetrically divided, then colored and decorated with doodles.  I suppose part of my problem is that my eyes don't like the fine detail work anymore, especially at night or in poor light.  Anyway, since I've committed to the class, I plan on finishing, but I'm not sure I make any more mandalas after the class is completed. 

Here are some that I've finished.  Some are on plain white card stock and some on watercolor paper.  The means of coloring is watercolor pencils & water brush, copic markers, prismacolor pencils and gamsol.  I'm not sure which I prefer.  On a couple of them, I also used some small stamps.  I like how that looks.

Thanks so much for stopping by.  I hope you like them.

4 comments:

Starla said...

Oh wow, Melody! These are fabulous! I might have to look into this more. I used to love "detail" doodling. Of course, that was a different lifetime ago, haha!
I hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

Love your colorful doodling Mandalas!
Hugs Anja from germany

kathi17 said...

Those are beautiful Melody. They look like fun, but I know what you mean about not being able to see fine detail anymore, I was trying to color in some small stamps last night, and it sure was hard to see what I was trying to color!

Thanks for the birthday wishes :-)

Robin Cooper said...

Very nice mandalas! Too bad you don't find them relaxing to do. I understand about the eyesight thing too. Even with glasses it's a strain for me. Thanks for sharing.