Saturday, March 3, 2012

think on these things

Hello, my friends.  It's a new month, and that means another page for the Bible verse challenge on SCS.  For this month, I chose Philippians 4:8 for my verse.

I decided to use a challenge at OWSE Yahoo Group to make my background.  After applying gesso to my page and letting it dry, (which I had already done, since I like to have several pages prepped with that so I don't have to wait through the drying process to get started), the technique was to apply some acrylic paint and then use a moistened paper towel to smoosh it into the page, and then repeat that with a few more colors.  Kind of a fun technique.

Then I decided to add little bits of torn pattern paper along the edges.

I printed my verse on vellum, because I wanted the background to show through, but when I went to adhere it with matte gel medium, the printer ink all smeared, so I quickly removed the vellum.  On to plan B...  I reprinted the verse on card stock and used one of my new labels dies from SU/Sizzix to cut it out.  I sponged the edges with cool caribbean ink and just used glue to adhere it to the page.

I decided to add a little bit of doodling, so I made some vines with pigma marker.  And since all of my pages so far have at least one butterfly on them, it seems appropriate to continue with that trend.  The large butterflies are from SU Flores suaves and the small ones are CHF.  All are colored with copic markers and cut out.  I had my photo loaded and realized that I had forgotten to add antennae to the butterflies, so I had to go fix that and take a new photo. Much better now.

Thanks so much for stopping by.  Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just LOVE the torn paper frame you made for this page. It works so beautifully with the 'smooched' background. Shame about the vellum not working out as planned, but your save works well.