Tuesday, January 8, 2013

21 cards - #3

Hi my friends.  Wow - two posts in one day.  It's been awhile since I've done that.  I'm having so much fun with this challenge from Motley Soul Mixed-Media Art, that I want to keep playing.  I think one reason I like this challenge is that the 4"x6" card is a nice size to work with.  I mostly make cards, so this is a similar size and not too intimidating. 

Please refer to this post to see how I started the cards. 

For this one, the background was made by placing a line of cream acrylic paint along the top edge and dragging the paint down the page with an old gift card.  I repeated the process with a mint green going the other direction.  While the green was still a bit wet, I sprinkled on some water and then pressed a paper towel into it.  Where the paint was wet from the water, the color lifted off.  It's a little hard to see the result, because there isn't much contrast between the two colors, but it was a fun technique that I found on a video here.  I'm sure I'll use it again.  You can see some of the texture from the coffee filter. 

I stamped the Hero Arts butterfly with tuxedo black memento ink on some white card stock and colored it with Copic markers and cut it out. 

The flowers (Judith Stamps) were stamped on white card stock with jet black archival ink.  I colored the centers with yellow marker and then cut the flowers out.  The orange and red were added with a sponge dauber. 

For the leaves, I traced around a hand drawn pattern and then cut them out with deckle scissors.  I sponged the edges with artichoke ink and added vein lines with a black marker.  For placement of the flowers, I almost always glue the flowers down before adding the leaves, but only put glue in the centers, so that I can still tuck the leaves underneath.  If the leaves are a little too long to slip underneath, I simply snip off the inner end, since it isn't going to show anyway. 

When I cut out butterflies, I rarely cut around the antennae.  I just cut them off.  Since I wanted antennae on my butterfly, after gluing the it down, I drew the antennae with a black marker.  The faux stitching along the edges of the card was also done with a black marker. 

The sentiment is computer generated. 

Thanks for stopping by.  

No comments: