Saturday, February 2, 2013

21 cards - #31 and a new challenge

Happy Saturday, friends.  Yesterday was the first day for the NEW Mix-Ability challenge on Splitcoaststampers, all about mixed media.  Yay!  I know I'm going to love it. 

The first challenge is Yin Yang.  So I used this challenge to create another card for January's monthly challenge at Motley Soul Mixed-Media Art.  There is a new challenge for February, but I haven't started on that one yet.  It's all hearts - need to think on that for a bit. 

This post shows how I made the base for my cards with cereal box chipboard and coffee filters.

I started by painting my base with celery green acrylic paint.  Then I used a butterfly stencil, the solid part sponged with gesso, and the detailed part sponged with pearl turquoise and pearl blue lumiere paints for a bit of shimmer.  I also outlined the butterfly with a Pitt pen.  Since the body of the butterfly was white, I cut a new one from black card stock and glued that on. 

Nothing like going backwards, but then I decided to add some stamping to the background, so I carefully added some texture type images from Donna Salazar and Tim Holtz in jet black archival ink.  

While playing around with some additions, but not sure what to add, I decided to leave it overnight and look at it again this morning.  I knew right away that I wanted to change up the background some more, so I applied some buttermilk acrylic paint with my finger, so it just brings out the texture of the coffee filter without covering up the stamping. 

Then I added bits of torn card stock and pattern paper. 

The sentiment is from Nostalgics Attic Collection (Image Tree), punched out with a 1/2" circle punch and raised on dimensionals. 

Then I attached a piece of burlap, some raffia, a hand crocheted flower and a button. 

I love it!  How can I not?  It has lots of texture and lots of BLUE!  LOL

Thanks so much for spending some time with me today.  Enjoy your weekend.


Carole said...

The flower on the burlap is awesome.

Starla said...

Texture, blue AND a butterfly!! I'm with you! What's not to like?!