Hi friends. If you've read my last couple of posts, you know that I've been making sonobe ornaments. All of them have been made using recycled paper - some that has been printed on one side and discarded for some reason or other,
and some that was (glossy) magazine or catalog pages.
I have discovered that the glossy paper isn't very receptive to some of my paint, so I either must use the colors that will cover the print, or first coat the paper with gesso. Both are great solutions, but the gesso is just an extra step, and drying time prolongs the process. The computer printer paper works much better for the lighter colors of paint.
The problem -- I made a lot (and I mean a LOT - well over 100) of the ornaments in glossy before I discovered that little problem. This is a grocery bag about half full. These are just the unfinished ones. I have many on my tree and have given away quite a few as well.
As long as I had a good supply to work with, I decided to try a technique called faux metal figures. It requires that you completely cover your piece with foil adhesive tape. Needless to say, this took a long time because of all the pyramids and valleys. Then you use the point of a pen, stylus, mechanical pencil, etc. to make 'rivets'. Sadly, these barely show in the finished piece.
When I came to this point, my ornament was very shiny and bright. I wanted to tone it down a bit, so I tried white acrylic paint. Because the tape doesn't absorb any liquid, I had to wait a long time for the paint to dry. By that time, I knew I didn't like the paint on it. I attempted to remove the paint, but it was impossible to get it out of the crevices. Frustrated, I decided to cover it as much as possible, so I used polished stone technique with alcohol inks. I left much of the tape uncolored.
Thanks so much for stopping by.