Tuesday, November 17, 2015

and time slips by...

Hi friends,

I can't believe an entire month has gone by since my last post. 

I spent a day at my sister's a couple of weeks ago.  She has been using scraps to make backgrounds and I really liked the idea.  So one of the things I took with me to work on was a box of scraps.  Some are pattern paper, and some are cardstock.  Rather than leave the cardstock plain, I like to stamp on it with background stamps, wheels, and small stamps.  That way, it's just like pattern paper and I like the mix better than using plain cardstock.  I sponged the edges with vintage photo distress ink before arranging them on cardstock.  I spent a lot of time cutting strips, but I did manage to put together 3 backgrounds that day.  I use thinner, less expensive cardstock as a base, unless I am putting the strips right on the card front. 

I decided to use this technique in my class this week, so I wanted to use the backgrounds I had made. 

I pulled out some butterflies that were in my stash of stamped images.  I added a sentiment and some punched dots.  A layer of black between the background and the card base completed the card. 

The next one is very similar, but I didn't add an extra layer of cardstock.  I did stamp a large doily on this one, though.  These were both all pattern papers. 

This was the third one I had made, and the butterflies just didn't seem to work, so I pulled out a new SU set that I just picked up on Friday.  I love this flower.  I stamped it twice, colored with my cheap kid set of gelatos, and then cut them out. 

Of course, I colored more than I needed, so I had to make another card.  These last two are mostly pattern paper, but a couple of the strips are stamped cardstock. 

I think this is such a great way to use up those little strips that get cut off when creating layers for your cards. 

Thanks so much for stopping by. 

No comments: