Friday, January 11, 2008

Dare to Be Fabulous

Happy Friday. Are you all having a good week? I hope so. DS is back in classes this week and DD will be heading back on Saturday. It's nice having them home all day, but it does mean Mom has more cooking and laundry to do.

The limited supplies challenge on splitcoast was posted early last night, so I made a card before I went to bed, but by the time I finished, it was after 1:00 a.m., so I decided to wait until this morning to post it. Our limits were to use only one SU color family and limit our colors to two plus white or vanilla. In addition, we could only use two embellishments and were to limit our tools. So the colors I chose were really rust and not quite navy from the earth elements family.

I stamped the large flower from fabulous flowers 4 times on vanilla card stock - 3 times in rust and once in not quite navy. Then I cut out the whole flower from one and portions of it from the other three, each a bit smaller. One those that were rust, I sponged the edges in not quite navy, lightly on the large flower, and more heavily on the smaller versions. The center, which is the not quite navy one, was sponged with rust. I wanted to add some dimension, but dimensionals and mounting tape are just a bit thick for so many layers, so I used some circle punches and layered 3 punched circles between each part of the flower. I love how it pops up the flower without making it too thick.

I love the sentiment that comes with this set. We all have people we admire because of something they've said or done. But, you don't have to be famous to be fabulous. We can each be fabulous in our own special way. Maybe it means just doing a special favor for someone or sending a card to cheer someone. What does being fabulous mean to you?

For the sentiment, I cut one strip each rust and not quite navy, then laid them end to end and stamped the sentiment in black stazon. I then trimmed off the ends and mounted them together on a piece of vanilla. Faux stitching is an easy, quick way to add that finishing touch to a card, so I did a line around the sentiment and the accent strip, using a white gel pen. The stitches around the edge of the card are done with a not quite navy marker. I decided to use one of my build a brads that I purchased a few months ago and have only admired in the cute little tin they came in. If you've never seen these, they're really cool. The base looks like a regular 1/2" brad, but the top is just slightly indented. You punch a circle and glue on the indented part and then top it with the clear plastic dome, which has adhesive on the back. So I pulled out my wanted set (same as I used in my last post) and stamped the little paisley stamp in rust on vanilla, punched out a 1/2" circle and put the brad together. I attached it to the sentiment piece before attaching it to the card with mounting tape. I really like this color combination.

Supplies:
stamps: fabulous flowers, wanted (SU)
ink: really rust, not quite navy, jet black stazon
paper: really rust, not quite navy, very vanilla
other: 1/2", 3/4" & 1-3/8" circle punches, build a brad, white gel pen, mounting tape, sponge

I'm looking forward to a great weekend and hope you are too. Thanks for stopping by. Now go Dare to Be Fabulous!

1 comment:

bensarmom said...

Melody, this is absolutely gorgeous!