Friday, February 1, 2008

Black Magic

Well, it has certainly been a busy week for me without much time to stamp. SU's Sale-a-bration starts today, which means in the next few weeks, I have more classes and workshops than normal. Who doesn't like a great sale? On top of that, I had to work today. I have a job where I am part-time on-call, so I don't put in a lot of hours, but every now and then I have to go in and work.

A few days ago as I was browsing in the Splitcoast gallery, I happened on a very fun technique called black magic. No, it has nothing to do with witchcraft. Check out this card by Karen Barber. It's done on black card stock and the final step makes the color pop as if by magic.

Here is a simple explanation of the technique:

Stamp your image on black card stock with white craft ink. Dry thoroughly. A heat tool will speed up the process. Next, use colored pencils to color your image. Color right on top of the dried ink. And finally, outline your image with white gel pen. It's really very simple, although it can be time consuming if you have a lot of coloring to do, like I did on this project. I'm really happy with how this turned out. If you try this technique, link your card here, so I can see what you've done.

Supplies:
stamps: fabulous flowers (SU)
ink: white craft, jet black stazon
paper: basic black, purely pomegranate, whisper white
other: chipboard coasters, white gel pen, heat tool, crop-a-dile, black organdy ribbon, jewel brad, clothespin

I'm so glad you stopped by.

2 comments:

bensarmom said...

Melody, this is absolutely gorgeous! I've never done this technique. I sure will try it soon though thanks to you!

Rosella said...

Very impressive! Definitely have to try this technique too!