Friday, April 25, 2008

CD magnet

Good morning. I have been having so much fun with the backgrounder blitz at Cornish Heritage Farms this week. Today is the last challenge and they are releasing two new backgrounders. Today's challenge was to make something other than a card. I actually started this project for the challenge to stamp on something other than paper, but decided to use it for today's challenge instead, since I knew it was going to be much more involved, and therefore more time consuming, than a card.

I started by stamping the victorian sunflower backgrounder with night of navy ink on a piece of thin cork sheet. This is something I 'inherited' from my mom, so I don't know where you can get something like this. Mine is actually about 2' wide and in a roll. My dad was a sign painter, so he had all sorts of unusual things, and both my parents did crafty things. Anyway, back to my project. . . I glued the stamped cork to a CD and trimmed the cork close to the CD. The CD gave the flimsy cork stability.

The flower was stamped on white mat coat card stock with Adirondack pitch black ink and colored with Copic markers, glued to a second piece of card stock and then cut out. I wanted it more stable than just one thickness of card stock, but in the end it didn't matter, since I glued it down on the cork.

The sentiment was stamped in night of navy on ballet blue card stock. I cut the curve the same as the cd and tore the other edges and then sponged chocolate chip ink along the edges.

The butterfly is made from a piece of cereal box chipboard, die cut with my cuttlebug and a butterfly die. First, I painted it with white acrylic paint. Then I stamped it with the victorian pattern backgrounder in night of navy ink, and then used tangerine chalk ink directly on the butterfly to change the color. The butterfly is attached with pop-up glue dots.

Everything is adhered to the cork with clear decoupage medium and was given several coats. Then I edged the cork with a Krylon copper leafing pen. The final touch was to add the blue jewels with crystal effects. Some strip magnets were attached on the back.

stamps: victorian sunflower backgrounder, victorian pattern backgrounder, single coneflower (CHF), sentiment (Stampourri)
ink: night of navy, chocolate chip, tangerine chalk ink, Adirondack pitch black, Copic markers
paper: white mat coat, ballet blue
other: cereal box chipboard, cd, cork sheet, jewels (JoAnn), sponge, Cuttlebug, CB butterfly die, clear decoupage medium (Plaid), magnet strips, pop-up glue dots, Krylon copper leafing pen

Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend.

No comments: