Friday, April 25, 2008

easy earrings

Yesterday I posted a link to Melanie Muenchinger's blog where she had made some cool earrings using page pebbles. I just had to try it and it worked for the final challenge for Cornish Heritage Farm's backgrounder blitz. Instead of using designer paper, I stamped a background and punched some circles from it. Thinking that if the circles of card stock were smaller than the page pebbles, then the adhesive along the edges would stick together, I used a 5/8" punch and 3/4" page pebbles. As it turned out, all it did was leave a gap between the page pebbles. So a little improvising was in order. I took a scrap of copper cord (retired SU) and wrapped it around inside the gap and then filled in the extra space with crystal effects. Worked perfectly. Then I pierced a hole in each piece and threaded a French hook (the part that normally goes through your ear) through the hole and twisted it around to close it. Since I like really long dangling earrings, I added a couple of beads on wire in the middle and then another French hook at the top. So easy and unlimited possibilities.

Supplies:
stamps: geometric flowers II (CHF)
ink: burnt sienna & rose coral chalk ink (Colorbox)
paper: very vanilla
other: copper cord, page pebbles, crystal effects, beads, jewelry findings

Thanks for visiting Today.

3 comments:

Keri Lee Sereika said...

Ok now Melody! Those are beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm new to your blog and I must say you are a very talented person. I like the way you share the techiques you use and the detail in making your art. Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

Ok....I just may have to visit Michael's and get me some hooks and try this!!
Starla