Saturday, June 7, 2008

A fun pop up card

Happy Saturday, everyone. We certainly had some violent storms here today. We had some golf ball size hail. I'd never seen hail that big before. Usually it's about the size of a pea. Of course, when all the sirens went off, we all just gathered around the TV and watched the storm out the windows. I love watching storms and my daughter is just as bad.

Saturday is the day for the inspiration challenge on splitcoast. I was happy to see it posted early last evening and I went right to work. I had made a pop up flower earlier in the week, but had not put it into a card and when I saw the inspiration, I knew it was perfect.

To create the four panels, I inked up pretty petals background in garden green. Then using a moist tissue, I removed the ink from the butterflies and flowers and then colored them with rose red and brocade blue markers. I misted the stamp and then stamped it on vanilla card stock. I wanted to use bashful blue to back the panels and found a piece already cut that was just the right size. So I cut the panels to fit that piece. After gluing the panels to the bashful blue, I used the fine tip of my brocade blue marker to drawn around the panels for just a hint of shadow. I put two strips of green galore behind the panel to add a bit of contrasting color.

The large flowers are made using a flower from mixed bouquet and a smaller flower from bodacious bouquet. Each flower is inked in regal rose and then rose red, using the rock n roll technique. The larger flower is stamped 3 times for each flower. The smaller flower is done the same way for the top layer, but underneath that layer it is stamped twice in rose red. When I cut them out, I left just a tiny border of the vanilla card stock. For the center of the flowers, I used some clear baubles I found in the candle department at Michael's. The front flower is raised for added dimension.

The sentiment from it's your birthday is stamped in garden green ink on green galore and punched out with my key tag punch, and popped up.

The really fun part of this card is the inside. This is called a 7 flower pop up. So fun and actually quite easy to make. It is made up of 7 flowers. You start with 8 petals, cut one out and overlap one, so you end up with a bowl shape with 6 petals. By gluing certain petals together and then to the inside of the card, when you open the card, the flowers open up like a big blossom.

If you would like instructions on how to make this flower, go here. I was surprised how easy this was to make. The one thing I did differently from the tutorial is to use a large oval punch instead of cutting out each flower. I started with 4" squares of designer paper, and after folding according to the directions, I put the folded paper into the punch so that the point was out of the punch, but up against the end and used just one end of the punch to punch and form the petals. This way, all my flowers were identical in size and shape.

supplies:
stamps: pretty petals, bodacious bouquet, mixed bouquet, it's your birthday (all SU)
ink: garden green, regal rose, rose red
paper: regal rose, bashful blue, green galore, very vanilla, dp (Michael's stack)
other: large oval punch, sponge, baubles, key tag punch, dimensional foam tape

I'm so glad you had time to stop by today.

1 comment:

Carol P said...

I'm putting your 7-flower card on my site, hope that's okay!

Great idea to use a punch to make the flowers.

Carol

Extreme Cards and Papercrafting