Wednesday, July 30, 2008

all primary

Yay! I finally finished all the challenges for the Dare to Get Dirty celebration on SCS. Carole's challenge was to use primary colors and I must say this was a really hard challenge for me. I tried several ideas, stamps a bunch of images and colored them, only to set them aside, unsatisfied. I finally decided to use a retired SU hostess set called All Natural and just stamp the flower. Using black stazon, I stamped on watercolor paper nine times. Then I colored them using markers and blender pen. I used a lot of marker on these, because I wanted vivid color. I have found that this method is so easy to use. Simply add marker to the image along the edges and where there is shading indicated and then blend it with a blender pen. This works really well on watercolor paper, but not on other card stock. I colored three flowers each color and cut them out and stacked them. I added a black flower punched with my boho blossoms punch and a black brad.

For the stems and leaves, I used black grosgrain ribbon. Each flower is raised on dimensional tape. I added faux stitching around the edge. This was actually my second attempt with this layout. The first one, I put a lot of faux stitching around the flowers and really didn't like it. I really didn't want to have to do all the flowers over, so I ripped the ribbon and flowers off and started with a new piece of white. This version was a big improvement.

stamps: all natural
ink: jet black stazon, markers - basic black, yoyo yellow, brilliant blue, real red
paper, brilliant blue, whisper white, watercolor
other: blender pen, black grosgrain ribbon, boho blossoms punch, piercing tool, black brads, dimensional foam tape

Thanks for stopping by for a visit.


Diane said...

Ooh I love the flowers,so nice and bright! What a neat idea for the stems.You did a wonderful job Melody!

Anonymous said...

I love the colors and the stem idea is terrific. I'm going to copy it! Very cute card.