Monday, July 14, 2008

a scored grid

Hello, my friends. This afternoon I got to meet Marianne Walker, the Copic marker lady. She's in Milwaukee for a certification class tomorrow and she was doing a free demo at a local art store today. Fun, fun, fun and very informative, although you really can't cover a whole lot in an hour.

Now, on to my card. Today the technique challenge on SCS was a grid card. I had never made one of these, so it was a fun technique to try. I'm sure it can be done using a ruler and scoring tool, but the easiest was is to use a Scor-Pal.

First, I cut a square of vanilla card stock and put it on my scor-pal diagonally and scored every half inch. Then turning it a quarter turn and again scoring every half inch. Then I inked up my twill background stamp with creamy caramel and laid the scored card stock on the stamp and lightly pressed to stamp it. It leaves all the scored indentations blank and only stamps the square in between - cool!

I then stamped the floral stem from Artfully Asian twice with basic brown ink and colored the image with markers - ballet blue, real red and sage shadow. I added white flower centers with a gel pen. I sponged the edges with chocolate chip. I could have used this on my card just like it was, but I decided to take it one step further. I coated the entire square with versamark ink and clear embossed with UTEE, making it look like a tile. I loved it.

I added some copper brads in the corners (easy placement with the grid in place) and mounted the piece on chocolate chip and vanilla and attached it to a ballet blue card base with dimensional foam tape.

For the sentiment, I stamped the thank you on vanilla and punched it out using my key tag punch. I sponged around the edge with chocolate chip and attached it with the dimensional foam tape.

The second photo shows some reflection from the camera flash, so you can really see that it looks like a tile.

supplies -
stamps: artfully asian, twill (SU)
ink: creamy caramel, ballet blue, sage shadow, real red, chocolate chip, basic brown, versamark
paper: ballet blue, very vanilla, chocolate chip
other: copper brads, scor-pal, key tag punch, sponge, white gel pen, brayer, dimensional foam tape

Thank you for stopping by today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just GORGEOUS!!

Theresa Momber said...

Gorgeous card. I love your tile. Congrats on winning from Gina K.

Anonymous said...

OMG! This looks just phenomenal! Thanks for the instsructions on how you made this beauty!! Kheila

Julie S. said...

Wow, the embossed tile look just rocks this card! Great thinking!