Sunday, August 17, 2008

birthday pocket

Good morning. Today my son turns 20, so last night I made him a card. I wanted it to be appropriate for him, but I don't have much in the way of stamps that would fit his personality and interests. So this card required a bit of creativity. He actually has a pair of jeans with a swirly emblem on the back pockets, so I tried to duplicate that look.

I used the denim backgrounder from Cornish Heritage Farms, which I stamped in bordering blue on the card base and another piece of bashful blue. I cut the smaller piece in the shape of a pocket. I added faux stitching along the edges and an emblem from SU's Kind Thoughts on the pocket in navy ink. I also sponged navy on all the edges as well as lightly over all the surfaces. In the corners of the pocket, I added navy eyelets.

















For inside the pocket, I cut a piece of basic gray and rounded the corners to look somewhat like a mobile phone. The 'keypad' is stamped with 'happy birthday' using Antique Alphabet from Image Tree. I used a white gel pen for some highlights on the 'phone'.

supplies
stamps: kind thoughts (SU), denim backgrounder (CHF), antique alphabet (Image Tree)
ink: bordering blue, night of navy, basic black
paper: bashful blue, basic gray
other: sponge, corner rounder, white gel pen, horizontal slot punch, crop-a-dile, navy eyelets

Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

Amy said...

What a great card! I love the idea of tucking a cell phone in the pocket!

Anonymous said...

Very cool idea Melody!! I'm thinking that I need to save this idea for ds...he is only 11 but keeps asking for a phone...hehhe....this way I could give him his wish!! (cruel mommy!!)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea - I have never tried to do a card for my (22 YO) son, you're a very brave woman and a GREAT designer!