Thursday, August 21, 2008

Torn with abandon

Hello everyone. I have not stamped since Saturday. I really didn't have any stamping mojo and no deadlines for classes. Instead I've been crocheting little flower embellishments.

I've been doing thread crochet for years and still enjoy working on doilies, so this project was a perfect way for me to sit and relax and still accomplish something. Last week when a local craft store went out of business, I picked up a few crocheted flowers at 90% off. They were a bit more complex than mine, but the original price was over a dollar. At that price, I knew that I wasn't going to be purchasing any, but should be able to make some usable flowers without too much effort.

So I did a Google search for crochet flowers and came up with several sites that had step by step instructions.


After trying several different versions, I decided to alter/combine different instructions to make my own style that was fast and easy. I played around until I found a design that I liked and that wasn't complicated.

I ended up with these that take about 10 minutes each to make. And since I have tons of crochet cotton, I should be able to make just about any color I want.

Now on to today's card, which by the way, doesn't have one of my crocheted flowers on it. I tried, but it just didn't look right.

The ways to use it challenge on splitcoast was to use tearing on your card. I also challenged myself to use designer paper on my card, since that is something I still struggle with.

The stamped floral image was laying on my desk - a reject from a project last week. The single coneflower from Cornish Heritage Farms is stamped on clear acetate with black stazon and colored on the back. I think I may have used Copic markers to color, but I'm not sure. There is a lot of streakiness in the coloring that shows up with white card stock behind it, but it just blended in with this darker color, making the piece salvageable. The sentiment and swirls are stamped on the ruby red card stock. I grabbed some scraps of designer paper and tore the ends off, wrapped it around the layers and added some buttons from my stash.

supplies
stamps: priceless (SU), single coneflower & sentiment (Cornish Heritage Farms)
ink: jet black stazon
paper: purely pomegranate, basic black, ruby red, dp (Basic Grey)
other: acetate, buttons, black crochet cotton

Thanks for stopping by today.

2 comments:

Denise ~ Paper Ponderings said...

Beautiful card. Amazing flowers. I tried my hand at making some of those, but I think I am crocheting challenged! I have to ask my 21 yo dd to tell me what all of the abreviations mean and to show me how to do things! ugh! Yours are just beautiful!

Lauren (mytime) said...

Those flowers are awesome!! Crochet is one thing I don't think I can do! Think how much $$ you can save making your own while you watch TV or something. AWESOME!! Those will look so cute in your creations.