Friday, August 29, 2008

A little something

Happy Friday. Are you glad to see the weekend? A long one with Labor Day on Monday. I managed to get the limited supplies challenge on splitcoast done today, even if it took me all day. Well, it didn't really take me that long -- I just worked on it off and on all day in between other things. One of the other things I had to do was return a couple of things at Target. As long as I was out, I decided to stop at JoAnn's as well. And guess what I found? A scalloped circle punch that is 2" across, just big enough to use as a layer with SU's scalloped circle punch. It's also made by EK success and has the same number of scallops. How cool is that?

Here's a picture of the two punched circles. Light blue is SU, dark blue is the new one.

OK, on to my challenge card. The requirements for the inspiration challenge were something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.

I knew the blue part would be no problem for me at all and I have lots of old stamps and new stamps, embellishments, etc., but the borrowed part was going to be a problem. I decided to borrow an idea, so I went with using faux bleaching, which I saw on a recent card made by Sherry Cheever (BadSherry on Splitcoast).

I stamped an iris background stamp in versamark on a shipping tag and clear embossed it. Since I don't have any colorwash, I just sponged on some color and spritzed it with water, blotted with a paper towel and ironed between scrap paper to remove embossing powder. What a fun technique. Some of the color bled underneath the embossing giving a very splotchy look. I stamped some swirls from Priceless and the sentiment from Nature Silhouettes (CHF) with black stazon over the faux bleach. The 2 larger primas were a recent rak from another stamper (thanks, Kim), and the top one is punched from some handmade paper that I made a few years ago. I used a stylus to give it a bit of dimension. The flowers are attached to the tag with a rhinestone brad.

I was just going to attach some of the blue grosgrain ribbon, but by itself it was just too bright, so I dug through my trims and found a piece that worked perfectly. I just attached them with staples. The left side of the tag is pierced.

For the background, I knew I wanted to repeat the iris theme, so I pulled out another seldom used stamp by Penny Black. I colored it with markers and then misted it before stamping on the amethyst card stock. I didn't like all the blank area, so I stamped sanded in ballet blue right over the irises to lightly fill the space without being overwhelming.

Originally, the amethyst was the card base with just the tag on it, but after taking some photos, I realized that it didn't look quite right, so I trimmed off the amethyst and attached it to the barely banana card base. What a difference that bit of frame made, tying the card together.

So here is my listed requirements:

Something old: iris background stamp (American Artstamps) that I've had forever

Something new: primas (recent rak from Kim Hughes)

Something borrowed: borrowed the faux bleaching technique from this card by BadSherry

Something blue: blue ink, blue primas, blue ribbon

supplies
stamps: priceless, sanded (SU), single iris (Penny Black), iris background (American Artstamps), sentiment (nature silhouettes - Cornish Heritage Farms)
ink: jet black stazon, ballet blue, brilliant blue, lovely lilac, tempting turquoise, versamark
paper: barely banana, almost amethyst, shipping tag
other: lace trim, royal blue grosgrain ribbon, primas, handmade paper prima, flower punch (EK success), stylus, clear ep, heat gun, staples, rhinestone brad, piercing tool & mat

I'm so glad you stopped by today. Have a wonderful and safe weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So creative and unique. I love this Melody.