Saturday, January 16, 2010

painted ferns

Happy Saturday, everyone. Seems I haven't been here in awhile. I've been sorta taking a break. I haven't really been doing any stamping. I've been working on the quilt that you saw a couple of posts back. I finished all the blocks (48 total), have them sewn together in strips, and yesterday, I spent most of the day pinning the layers together. The next step is to baste them, so I can take the pins out before I quilt. If the pins are left in, they catch the thread you're working with and cause all kinds of problems. I would much rather baste with basting spray, but that stuff is too toxic to spray inside in the middle of winter when I can't open the doors and windows for ventilation. So I guess I have to do it the old fashioned way. It takes a lot longer to do it this way, but I don't want to wait to get started quilting. And probably long before I'm finished with this quilt, I'll have started at least one more, 'cause that's just what I like to do. The most fun for me is the creating process.

But I did do a little stamping this morning. I made a card for the inspiration challenge on SCS, using the header here for my inspiration.

I pulled out an old SU set called Ferns to use as my main image. I started by taking a piece of creamy caramel cardstock and painting on it with Apple Parchment acrylic paint. As soon as that was dry, I stamped the fern with certainly celery, rocked & rolled in always artichoke ink. I used a cutter bee piercing tool to roll along each edge for a little accent.

I added a layer underneath the image of black with one edge pinked. And the card base is always artichoke with one edge just dabbed a little with the acrylic paint.

I punched some 1/4" squares from artichoke cardstock and added them for an accent on the black.

The sentiment is from Congrats (SU). I stamped it in artichoke on certainly celery and then sponged artichoke over it to darken the celery. I layered off center some black and artichoke and popped up the sentiment strip on dimensional tape.

I didn't add any more embellishments, because I needed a card that was either masculine or non-gender. I think this one works.

Thanks so much for visiting today. Have a wonder-filled day.

1 comment:

Starla said...

Like how you used the paint!! These ferns caught my eye too....have an idea brewing, but need to find my kitchen first!! (ick)