Monday, January 4, 2010

paper quilts

Good morning. I hope you're keeping warm. We are having a really cold spell. For several days, temps have been in the teens and low 20's. I think I'll stay inside and quilt.

Today's technique challenge on SCS was paper quilting, so even if it isn't warm and cozy, it's still a quilt. Of course I had to play. I knew when I saw Heather Nichols quilted card that I was going to have to case it.

I started by pulling out some designer paper (mostly from some of those really big stacks) and punched out two 1" squares from each one. Then I glued them to a piece of thin cardstock. I trimmed the excess from around the edges and layered it onto elegant eggplant. Then I embossed it with my cuttlebug and SU's perfect details texturz plate. It didn't give me as deep an impression as I would have liked, so I think next time I'll emboss each layer before putting them together. I added some faux stitching with white gel pen.

For the base layer, I cut a 1" strip of one of the papers and glued it along the bottom of some periwinkle blue cardstock and added faux stitching around the edge with elegant eggplant marker. Then I attached the quilted layer with foam tape.

The sentiment is from Quilt Quips (SU), which I spent about a half hour looking for -- grrrr.... it had fallen down in between some things. I added some more faux stitching and then sewed the button and twill tape on with black crochet cotton. This piece is also attached with foam tape.

Thank you so much for visiting today. May you have a wonder-filled day.

No comments: