Monday, August 30, 2010

shabby butterfly

Happy Monday. This morning I made a card for the technique challenge on SCS. The challenge was to use corrugated cardboard. I love the many looks you can achieve with this.

I first wet one side of the cardboard and let it sit about 5 minutes, which makes it much easier to pull off that outside layer to reveal the texture underneath. After removing most of the top layer, I used my cuttlebug and two SU/Sizzix (top note & beautiful butterflies) dies to cut it. I added some antique white acrylic paint to the butterfly. Once that was dry, I stamped Lady of Grace (Stampington) in faded jeans distress ink (Ranger) and then sponged and distressed the edges. For the center, I wanted a small crochet flower, but didn't have any in the right color, so I sat down and made one, which I attached with a brad. Here's a closeup of the butterfly.

On the top note, I used a stamp from Gratitude (Club Stamp) in aged mahogany distress ink (Ranger) and added sponging and a lot of distressing on the edges, even tearing off one corner. I added a piece of my crocheted lace edging as well.

The base card is not quite navy and the vanilla layer is stamped with Dots & Flowers (Hero Arts). More sponging and distressing. The sentiment is from the Gratitude set. I attached the butterfly with dimensional tape.

Thanks for visiting today. Have a wonder-filled week.

1 comment:

Starla said...

Oh to be able to just sit down and crochet a flower that is needed!
Love the shabby chic look to this!

AND~~Wowzers!! you crank out the goods for VSN!