Saturday, September 11, 2010

More wood

Hey there. It's a rainy Saturday here. The main thing I really don't like about days like this is that it's so dark outside. Although I not much of an outdoors person, I do like the sunlight.

While the family (except me) was out playing wallyball at the club last night, I was working on a card for my technique class. When I noticed that the inspiration challenge was posted on SCS, I wondered if I could fit my card into the challenge. Sure enough, I found an Old Trunk Coffee Table that would be perfect for a card using faux woodgrain.

I used a direct to paper technique to make the wood background and added lines and 'nails' with a marker. The 'hinges' are made with a modern label punch, folded in half and wrapped around the edge of the cardstock. Then I punched a couple of holes and tied taupe hemp through them.

I wanted to use this daisy flower (Love to Stamp) that I've had for years, and it's been a long time since I've used it. I stamped it with black stazon and colored it with an old olive stem, a creamy caramel center and tangerine tango petals. After I cut out the flower and glued it onto the wood background, I looked at the card and just knew it wasn't right. Not that it wasn't an OK card, but the orange flower just sort of blended into the background and there was no pop. I wasn't satisfied. Sooooo.... rather than remaking the entire card, I just remade the flower. This time I colored the center yellow and the petals tempting turquoise with some brilliant blue shading. Then I cut it out and glued it right on top of the first flower. Oh, how much better that looked.

The sentiment is from Bloomin' Beautiful (SU). It isn't the sentiment that I really wanted to use, and it also doesn't show up very well, but last night, my tired brain couldn't figure out how to make the other one fit. This morning, however, I think I can figure it out. I may have to remake the entire card. If I do, I post a comparison for you.

Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope your day is bright and sunny.

No comments: