Wednesday, December 29, 2010

StampTV challenges

Hi my friends. I have had a number of non-stamping days for the simple reason that my mojo has been hiding somewhere. Today, however, I think I made up for it. I made FIVE cards.

StampTV is having some year-end challenges with the possibility of winning some goodies, so of course, I needed to join in. The first card is for 'adding shimmer with stardust pens'. Not all of my glitter pens are stardust brand, so I just used what I had. I colored the image with the glitter pens.

The stitched circle is called spirelli. I had a couple of these already completed, so I decided to use one for this card. Although it may look complicated, it only takes about 10 minutes or so to make a full circle. I like to use regular sewing thread, because it looks so delicate.

All the brads are little black dots punched from black cardstock.

The next card is a faux window. I decided to add a bit of 'curtain'. I edged punched a piece of dp and then ran it through my crimper.

The next card is a shimmery background. This is done by embossing a piece of cardstock in an embossing folder and cuttlebug. Then you highlight the embossed areas with glitter pen. I added a bunch of white dots with a gel pen as well.

Another card, using the same stamp from Signs of Autumn (Gina K), uses the cracked glass technique. This is done by covering your image piece with UTEE, heating, and then repeating a couple of times. I think I may have used 4 layers. Then you put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes. When you take it out, you immediately bend it and the surface will crack. The first time I cracked this, some pieces actually fell off, so I remelted it with my heat gun and did the freezing, cracking procedure all over.

The lacy circle layer is a new nestabilities die that I received for Christmas, so I had to use it today. This card also has some faux brads. This card doubles for the sketch challenge this week on SCS.

My last card is for a challenge of adding a button to a bow. When I first saw that challenge, I wasn't sure I was going to do it, because.... in order to add a button to a bow, I first need to tie a bow. This is something I usually avoid, since they usually don't turn out very nice. Then I thought about it and figured if I used raffia and made a more rustic card, I could do it, so that is exactly what I did.

I already had the image from SU stamped, colored and die cut. I just added some white gel pen dots and sponged the edges.

I also had this piece of faux woodgrain, and that was a perfect background for a rustic card. The button is one from my stash.

I'm always happy when I can utilize previously stamped images and backgrounds, etc. on a card.

Thanks so much for stopping by. Blessings to you.

2 comments:

Starla said...

Great job on all the challenges, Melody!! I love your raffia bow (being rather "bow" challenged myself!!)

Shirley-anne said...

Hello Melody. New follower here .Great selection of art work here in this group of cards . thanks for sharing . My fav are [ but love them all] are the Faux Window card and the Faux Woodgrain card.