Saturday, February 26, 2011

play day

Happy Saturday, my friends. We got more snow late last night. Maybe an inch -- just enough to make the roads slick and coat the driveway again. Ah, such is winter.

My sister and I rescheduled our play date, so on Thursday, I drove over to her house to play with stamps, ink and paper all day. I didn't take much - just a few stamps & ink pads, plus white, cream and black cardstock, and a bag filled with scraps, which included bits of paper as well as stamped images, some colored and even cut out and others just stamped. I thought I would try to incorporate some into cards. Was I successful? Well, yes! At least for the most part. I made one complete card, except for attaching the sentiment, because I didn't have the right punch. The other I had altered a stamped image with some embossing and ink, but couldn't figure out how to put in together on a card.

So yesterday, I pulled them out to see if I could finish them. The first one was easy. Just punching out the sentiment, adding some color since I didn't want it white, and adding a layer of black behind it.

The background was one of the stamped pieces - print pattern, bella toile and linen. And the flowers were partially colored. I was going to use a butterfly, so I wanted the flowers to match, so I almost ruined them by adding too much color - the paper started to pill. I wanted a fuller flower, but didn't have more images or the stamp, so I flipped one over and traced around it three times and cut them out, colored them and added an outline in black. The leaves are the same flower image in green and cut apart.

For the 2nd card, ended up just adding several layers - pink & green to highlight the colors in the flower and black as an accent. Edges were sponged with vintage photo distress ink. I attached some black brads, which really made an improvement.

For the sentiment, I stamped a larger sentiment, but just punched out the one word with my word window punch. Since the punch also picked up the comma in front of the word, I just cut it off there. The black layer is modern label punch, cut off at the same place.

I'm happy with the way these turned out and it's always nice to use up some scraps.

Thanks for stopping by. I'm hoping to get some more stamping done today. Splitcoaststampers is having virtual stamp night (VSN) this weekend and the inspiration challenge is calling my name.

1 comment:

Starla said...

I'm so impressed with your ability to make cards with what little you took! I would end up coming home with nothing, since I would be "missing" such and such!
I think my favorite is the pink and green card (gasp! PINK! hehe) I like the stamping over the background!