Friday, April 8, 2011

grungy monday #02

Hi my friends. Today was a day for creating -- just one project, but it took me all day. Something other than a card and artsy to boot. I made a little wall hanging to hang in my studio for grungy monday #02 over on Linda Ledbetter's blog, being inspired by products, techniques and everything else Tim Holtz. This week's technique is found here. I actually started this project a few days ago, but other things kept getting in the way of creativity. Today, I just decided I was going to keep at it until I could get it finished.

To begin with, I don't have any matte multi-medium, so I wondered if there was anything I could use as a substitute. I decided to try Elmer's school glue. The bird image on the left side of the music paper was done with this. I think it turned out ok, but I tried two images and the 2nd one didn't work so well. My friend, Starla, suggested Mod Podge, but mine is glossy, so instead I tried some satin finish decoupage glue (the flower on the music paper under the flying bird). That one turned out ok, as well. I tore and distressed the edges on the music paper.

For my base, I used a piece of corrugated cardboard, which I first moistened on one side to make it easy to remove the flat surface and expose the texture underneath. I roughly painted on some blue acrylic paint, distressed the edges and added quite a bit of vintage photo ink.

The bird and flourish are die cut from grungeboard and painted with lumiere. The lace is an edging that I crocheted.

I printed the sentiment on the computer and printed it on cardstock. I cut the words apart, sponged the edges and then mounted them on black and trimmed that close to the top layer.

The flowers are all made from cardstock, dies and ink. I made these several months ago, so I just decided to use them, since I liked the colors and they were the right size. The larger leaves are die cut with my new Tim movers & shapers die and the small ones are from a Martha Stewart punch. I sponged the edges and added veins. I always glue my flowers down first and then tuck in the leaves. If I can't get them tucked in far enough, I just trim off part that is going under the flower.

I think I'm going to change the hanger, but I'm not sure what I want to use yet. I must say that I'm really pleased with the way this turned out.

Thanks so much for stopping by. Have a wonder-filled weekend.


Sherry Cheever said...

Melody this is really cool and I love the way you made the hangers! The flowers are gorgeous!

Starla said...

I love how you did the words on this. AND, you've got my tired brain straining to come up with an idea for this challenge! (that's a good thing!)

minnie_mac said...

Fabulous piece. Love it.


Karen said...

Lovely: Really like how the bird resist looks on the music paper.

Terry said...

Beautiful hanging GM creation! Love the resist on the music sheet! So vintage and beautiful!

stampscout said...

Oh my goodness, Melody, this is absolutely beautiful! Love everything you've done with this wall hanging.

Meggymay said...

Beautiful piece, love your bird resist.

Mary said...

What a lovely hanging. Your saying is one of my favorites.

Linda Ledbetter said...

Melody, you are on a roll, my dear! This is another absolutely gorgeous work of Tim Holtz-inspired art. The resist technique is so perfectly accomplished, and those bright, beautiful flowers are so wonderful, and a great contrast to the corrugated case. The entire piece is so elegant. Bravo!