Saturday, February 4, 2012

February's verse

Hi my friends.  It's time for the weekend.  Do you have some great plans?  I need to get some cards created for my class on Thursday.  I keep thinking about making them, but then I've been distracted by other things, so I still haven't started them.  I did do some creating, though.

If you recall, last month I started participation in a monthly Bible verse challenge on SCS, and I am doing mine as art journal pages, so I've been working on my page for February.  I've combined the challenge with another challenge at OWSE yahoo group to use a face on my page.  Ahhh, not such an easy challenge.

Many transformations have taken place on this page before I got it to its present condition.  This page started out as a scrap piece of card stock that I used as a blotter from some stencils.  I added paint and some stamped tissue paper, and then tried to paint a face - not so good.  Out came the gesso.  Then I tried drawing a face with sharpies -- hmmm... more gesso!  I think you get the picture.

But I was determined.  I went online and found some faces, printed out a couple of sizes until I found the right size and then traced the main features using a light box and a pencil.  Once I had the outlines, I used a fine black marker and prismacolor pencils to make the face.  Such a difference for me without a brush in my hand.  The hair and clothing are made with scrapbook paper. 

I added some flowers (colored by sponging) and butterflies (both SU stamps - the butterfly was stamped twice & cut in half to get the double wings).  I colored the butterflies with copic markers and added some white gel pen.

I stamped a Tim Holtz stamp with archival black ink along the edges before adding the Bible verse, which was printed on my computer.  I had to cut it apart quite a bit in order to fit it along side the face and then I sponged all the edges with tea dye distress ink. 

So I got it all done... well, that's what I thought.  Remember I said it started as a scrap piece of card stock?  Well, my January page is 9"x6" and this page was 8.5"x5.75".  Oops!  A little doctoring was required.  I pulled out a piece of watercolor paper (which is what I've been using for my art journal pages) cut 9"x6", glued on a piece of black card stock and then glued the completed page to that.  And there you have it.  February's page.

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.  Psalm 139:14.

Thank you so much for stopping by.  Have a blessed weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful!
Cheers
Sharon