Thursday, February 23, 2012

GM37 - toilet paper jewelry

Hello my friends.  Earlier this year, I participated in Creative Jump Start, a way to get your creative juices flowing.  One of the blogs we visited belonged to Cuchy, and she had an amazing video tutorial on embossing wet toilet paper in an embossing folder.  I tried it, using my checkered embossing folder, thinking it might be a technique to use in one of my classes.  I really loved the technique.  However, when my pieces were dry, they were all warped, and I didn't think they would work for what I had originally planned.  I'll have to try it again and perhaps weight the pieces down while drying to keep them flat.  I kept the pieces anyway, thinking I could still use them somehow. 

When I saw that Grungy Monday on Linda Ledbetter's blog, Studio L3, this week was to make wearable art, I decided to try to use some of the embossed toilet paper to make some earrings.  Of course, part of the challenge is to use techniques or products of Tim Holtz

I started by using the mini leaf & branch die to cut a lot of leaves from the embossed toilet paper (shown on the lower part of the photo).  Then I used alcohol inks to color the leaves.  I let them dry and then gave them two coats of acrylic glaze, so they are nice and shiny.

I used a small hole punch to make a hole in each one and added some beads and jump rings and attached them all to some French hook earrings.  They are really light weight and have a lot of texture.  I love how they turned out. 

Thanks for stopping by.

16 comments:

Holly Young said...

Wow, you really saved the embossed tp with this project. It's fabulous!

Starla said...

OMG....I'm off to check this technique out!!

Hetty said...

Oh, these are beauties! I am sure you will get lots of compliments when you wear them!

Shelly Hickox said...

These are beautiful!! Can't believe it's tp!

Kathy Eddy said...

These are just so fun Melody. What a great technique.

Carol said...

Love your earings.

Marjie Kemper said...

Amazing texture from the TP, Melody. Love your earrings!

Ibarra Creations 4U said...

I would have never guessed they were created from tp. They're great!!!

Chris aka Scrappylassie said...

Absolutely stunning! How creative you were to think of this with the challenge! Thanks for sharing.
Chris/Scrappylassie

Lisa :) said...

These are really awesome!!

Cuchy said...

Hi Melody,
Thank you so much for being part of our creative jump start, and having a go to the tp technique.
Your earrings turned out fantastic! I love them. The final coat gives them a beautiful touch.
Hugs, Cuchy

toni said...

Wow! these earrings look so professional, who'd have thought theyre made of toilet paper! fantastic job, so neat x

Maria said...

Wow, Melody, these earrings are beautiful! What a neat technique - they turned out great!

Scrap Vamp said...

So cool and imaginative!

Terry said...

TP Earrings, got to love these! What a very clever and gorgeous idea! Will check out the TP tutorial!

lorrayneingram said...

Love this idea!