Friday, April 27, 2012

art journal cover

Hello, my friends.  This week, Eclectic Paperie had a blog hop showing journal covers, which is just the beginning of monthly journal entries.  They invited us to play along and create our own journal cover.  I chose to make mine 6"x6".

I started by gluing three pieces of cereal box chipboard together to make a very sturdy chipboard.  Then I cut two pieces 6"x6" for the front and back cover.  I covered mine with some textured denim.  I added some gesso to make it look shabby.

I made a flower from a piece of hand crocheted lace.  I used alcohol inks to make it red.  The center is a tiny crocheted flower.  For the stem, I crocheted a piece of cording and dyed it with Ranger alcohol inks.  The leaves are cut from corrugated cardboard and dyed with alcohol inks.  I used a glue gun to attach all the parts of the flower.

The word art is die cut from designer paper with a retired Sizzix sizzlit alphabet called Block Party.  The letters are glued to navy lacy oval die cuts.  To raise them off the cover, I punched four layers of card stock ovals to glue behind the lacy ones.

The remaining words - "for the joy of creativity" - are those that I use as a subtitle on my blog.  That's why I create things in whatever medium, whether it's stamping, quilting, lace making, art journaling... I find joy in creating.  I printed the words on my computer, cut them apart, added an edge with a black marker and glued them down.

I'm really happy with how this turned out.  It makes me happy that I was able to use fabric, lace, die cuts, and also do some recycling to create something new and beautiful.

Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

12 comments:

Micki said...

What a GREAT idea to add the lace and fabric. Absolutely love it and it's so you! So glad you played along with the E-TEAM on our first journaling adventure :-)

Starla said...

LOVE the denim with the gesso over it!! And crocheted flowers!! This cover is YOU!!

Ashley said...

Fun journal cover! I love all of the textures and dimension you have created here with layering and paint.

Sherry Cheever said...

Melody I tried to leave a comment the other day, but I was on the iPad it was just too damn hard!

Anyhoo, I LOVE what you've done here and only you would use your crocheting embellishments . . . love it!!!

So glad you played along with The E-Team!

Marjie Kemper said...

Great cover, Melody! The crochet flower adds amazing texture.

Daisy said...

Love your cover, Melody. All that dimensions and artfulness. Thank you for sharing and entering your journal cover for the E-Team journal blog hop.

EmeralDQueen said...

This is a very pretty cover, the flower is so nice :)

EmeralDQueen said...

This is a very nice cover I love the flower is so nice :)

Kathy Eddy said...

Oooh, love this one Mel! Great job.

Barbara said...

Very nice, and a great use of so many materials!

Broni said...

Melody, this is such a wonderful cover! I love that you used your crocheted flowers!!

Kamal Kant Kaushal said...

very nice and deep brief.