Hello, my friends. I'm not so sure that I like this new format that blogger has. What was wrong with the other one?
I have a new art journal spread that I've been working on. It's for a challenge on OWSE Yahoo group. The background was made using the puzzle technique. Ha! Is it any surprise that mine looks more like a quilt than a puzzle?
The technique is basically easy. You start by lightly (I was a bit heavy handed) drawing with a pencil all over your spread to look like puzzle pieces. Then go over it with a coat of gesso. The pencils marks will show through, giving you guidelines on where to paint the different sections with your acrylic paints.
I thought mine was way too bold and bright, since I tend to like my background to be just that - a background. I want my focal image(s) to stand out. So I watered down some gesso and brushed a wash over the whole thing. I like it this way much better, although it's still kinda busy.
I decided to add some quilting lines along the color separations with white gel pen - subtle, so it doesn't stand out.
The words and arrows are computer generated. The arrows are from a wingding font, printed in size 96 and then cut out and glued down. I sponged cool caribbean ink on the edges of the words and then added an edging with a black marker.
I thought the spread needed a little bit more, so I used swiss dots stencil from Crafter's Workshop and sponged some white paint randomly here and there.
Thanks so much for stopping by today. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.