Thursday, February 7, 2013

20 hearts - #2

Hello again.  I have finished my 2nd heart card for the February monthly challenge at Motley Soul Mixed-Media Art.  I've seen iris folding and never really was interested in trying it, but needing to come up with 20 different hearts, I thought I'd give it a try for one of the hearts. 

I found a pattern on line, printed it out and then placed a piece of clear acetate over it, so that no glue would get stuck to the pattern while I was working.  I used copy paper that had already been printed on, but had some clean parts that were usable.  I didn't realize that the pattern I was using was a bit wonky until I got closer to the center and could see that the pattern was no longer square.  Since this is my first attempt at iris folding, I didn't even know that was incorrect. I'm sure if I hadn't said anything, most of you wouldn't have even noticed. 

I wanted some color, so I tried using a Dylusions ink spray.  Even though I held the spray bottle quite a distance from the paper, it still gave quite a heavy spray -- not what I was going for.  Then I tried to salvage it by sponging on some salty ocean distress ink.  Although I'm not thrilled with the result, it's better than it was. 

Next I cut out a heart pattern to fit my card, traced it on the back of the rust card stock and then cut it out.  I used a Hero Arts background and pacific point ink on the rust and then added dots with white gel pen.  I like the way the rust contrasts with the turquoise. 

I sponged the edges of my card base, a piece of tissue box coated with gesso, with salty ocean and glued it all together.  I decided to keep it with all the imperfections, mainly because I'm not sure that I want to do this technique again.  I did, however, go find a new 'correct' pattern -- just in case...

Thanks so much for stopping for a visit today. 

No comments: