Tuesday, June 11, 2013

my first canvas ever

Hello friends.  This week I've been busy creating cards for my class on Thursday.  Once I finished, I decided to play a little bit.  There's a challenge to make something with the technique (masking on collage) that was presented last week at our OWSE Art Techniques Club meeting, so I made a canvas, my first ever.  It's 14"x11", much larger than anything I normally create.  Nothing like stepping out of my little box.  I'm glad I did it though.  It wasn't nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be, and was rather fun to work on a much larger space. 

I started by forming a collage with a bunch of different pattern papers.  Then I used a Sizzix butterfly die to make two masks from some recycled chipboard boxes. 

Then came paint, removing some of the paint to allow some of the papers to show through, spray inks and stencils, modeling paste with a stencil, and some stamping. 

Then I removed the masks.  I stamped some buttons from a SU set called button, button.  I punched them out, pierced the holes and used a Pitt pen to draw on thread.  I used the buttons for the butterfly bodies. 

I printed the sentiment on my computer, cut it apart, and added some ink before gluing the words to the canvas. 

I don't think it's fabulous, but neither do I dislike it.  I would prefer that the butterflies were a single paper and that they stood out more, but since they were part of the technique, I really couldn't change them for the challenge. 

Creating on a canvas was definitely a learning experience for me, and I know I'll be doing more of these.

Thank you so much for stopping by. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you did a great job. I just did my first canvas recently too and chose a large size. I am now working on 2 smaller ones.

Unknown said...

I think you did a great job. I just did my first canvas recently too and chose a large size. I am now working on 2 smaller ones.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Gorgeous canvas! I can't believe it's your first! Love the butterflies! Beautiful!

Starla said...

OOOOO!! Congrats on the first canvas!! I have found myself reaching for my canvas more than paper lately (well, when I have time to reach for any art supplies that is, haha!!)