Saturday, January 24, 2009

not a scrapbook page

Good evening. I feel like I accomplished a lot today. I worked on a card this morning for the limited supplies challenge, did lots of laundry, dishes, worked a bit on a quilt I'm finishing for someone, and then tonight I made another card for a Gina K release challenge. OK, just realized it's going on 1:00 a.m. - guess I did all that yesterday.

The card I made for the limited supplies challenge was sitting on my desk for a couple of months, actually completed - all put together - but I wasn't happy with it. There just wasn't enough contrast between the image and the background. Today the challenge was to use a black card base. Since this card already had that, I thought I would try to make it better.

The image was stamped in versamark and clear embossed. Then the background was made with watercolor crayons and a water brush. I wanted the color more vivid, so I decided to try colored pencils - my koh-i-noors. Now, I would normally use gamsol with these, but I thought I'd see if just water would do anything, and to my surprise, yes it worked great to blend the color and make it more vivid. So basically a five minute fix and my card was done.

stamps: inspired by nature
ink: versamark
paper: basic black, ballet blue, watercolor
other: watercolor crayons, water brush, koh-i-noor color pencils, scalloped border punch, fancy photo corner punch, piercing tool, gold brads, foam tape, black pigma marker

My next card was for Gina K's January release party challenge #1. The challenge was to make a scrapbook page with the sketch provided, or a card. Since I'm not a scrapper, I decided to use a photo on a card instead.

The flowers are made by stamping the largest flower from botanical dreams 8 times and then punching out the centers and sponging the edges and layering. I really like how they turned out.

stamps: priceless (SU), botanical dreams (Gina K)
ink: jet black stazon, brocade blue, lovely lilac
paper: bashful blue, lovely lilac, white, dp (unknown)
other: spiral punch, 5 petal flower punch, daisy punches (2 sizes), foam tape

Thanks so much for stopping by today.

2 comments:

Starla said...

And you will be at my house at what time?!! hehe.....
Love your photo card!!

JoAnn Beachler said...

Beautiful card...love the flowers and how you used the spiral punch