Tuesday, January 27, 2009

pleated butterfly

Hello. Pleated butterfly? Well, not exactly. Yesterday's technique challenge on SCS was all about using pleated paper on your card. A fun technique that I don't remember ever using before. I finished the card pretty late last night, or maybe it was early this morning, but I was too tired to upload and needed to get some sleep, so I don't nod off in my class this morning -- not so good when you're the teacher!

I actually started this card with the designer paper - see - I'm really trying to use it. You know how hard it is to resist buying those big 12" stacks of 180 sheets when they are on sale for $10? Yup! That's like 5 or 6 cents per sheet! I have a few of those. So, anyway, that's what I started with.

I picked a pretty floral in a turquoise and just cut a 1" strip the width of the paper. I put it on my scor-pal and scored at 1", 1-1/2", 2-1/2", 3", etc. In other words, alternating a 1" space and a 1/2" space between the score lines across the strip. Then you accordian fold using the score lines. Easy, peasy!

Then I decided to use a set that I got free during a promotion a couple of months ago - flight of the butterfly. It's been sitting waiting to get used. Well, I had used one tiny stamp already in a class, but the rest of the set has been untouched. I stamped the solid part of the wings in cool caribbean, and then I chose the flowers to go with the dp. And since I love blue, I chose to accent with brilliant blue. I should have used my stamp-a-ma-jig so the butterfly parts lined up better, but it's not real bad, so I left it. Since there was a lot of blank area around the image, I did some sponging and faux stitching and added some cute flower brads in the corners. The image panel is raised on dimensional tape.

I added a strip of brilliant blue behind the pleated paper and a tiny bit of glue underneath each pleat so they were not popping off the card.

I pulled a button from my stash, added a bit of white crochet cotton and I'm done. I think I may use this card in a class. I'll have to update to current colors, though.



what's in it?
stamps: flight of the butterfly
ink: cool caribbean, brilliant blue
paper: cool caribbean, brilliant blue, very vanilla, dp (stack - not sure who makes it)
other: sponge, scor-pal, button, flower brads, crochet cotton, foam tape

Thanks so much for visiting today. Be blessed.

1 comment:

Starla said...

your pleating turned out great. I love all the blues that you use!!