Tuesday, July 21, 2009

fabric flowers

Hello everyone. Today was a non-stamping day for me. I spent some time at the blood center making a donation and then I worked on a quilt that I need to get finished. It's a quilt that was started by a friend's mom. She passed away a number of years ago and the friend doesn't quilt, so I agreed to finish it for her. And I'm way behind in getting it done.

But I do have a card to show you today. Yesterday's technique challenge on SCS was to use fabric on your card. The idea was to use it for flowers, although that wasn't required. Being a quilter, I have a huge stash of fabric, but I really didn't want to spend time going through my stash finding just the perfect piece, so I just grabbed the first piece I saw that was not put away. It was actually a ruffle that I had pulled off a skirt. I found the skirt in a rummage sale and bought it because I loved the colors, intending to use the fabric for quilting. Well, there's still plenty left for that. My card only required a small piece.

The directions recommended using freezer paper to stabilize the fabric, so you could die cut it, so that's what I did. I used a Sizzix flower die. The fabric is the largest and smallest flower and the middle layer is a piece of canvas. If you look closely, you can see the lines where the stitching was - lol, we're recycling here. The canvas was stiff enough that I didn't need to stabilize it, but I had to be gentle when I sponged a bit of color along the edges of the petals so that it didn't fray. I sewed the button on through all the layers of the flower.

The flourishes are made from card stock with another Sizzix die.

I used a cuttlebug embossing folder for the background.

The sentiment is from a retired SU hostess set called warmest regards. I punched it out with the new modern label punch. The punch only comes in one size, so in order to get a backing layer, I punched two more from brilliant blue and cut them each in half, one vertically and one horizontally. Then I just separated the pieces and glued them to the back of the ivory punched piece. Both the sentiment and flower are popped up for a bit of dimension.

What's in it?
stamps: warmest regards (SU)
ink: brilliant blue
paper: naturals ivory, brilliant blue, night of navy
other: fabric, canvas, cuttlebug, cb embossing folder birds & swirls, Hello Kitty flower bouquet & daisies dies (Sizzix), button, sponge dauber, modern label punch, foam tape

Thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed.

No comments: