Tuesday, August 18, 2009

wow, that's bright

Hello. I tried a new technique today on SCS called leafing pen resist. Basically, you draw on watercolor paper with a leafing pen and then use an ink wash over it and the paint resists the ink.

I wanted to use my gold leafing pen, but couldn't get it to work. So I decided to go with copper. Instead of using a spray ink wash, I misted the watercolor paper and then added drops of ink refill to the wet paper and spread it around with my aqua painter. It really didn't give the contrast I was looking for and I wasn't happy with the results. I actually tried about 6 or 7 pieces and wasn't happy with any of them. After letting them dry, I brushed over them with Mod Podge. But I really needed to make a card and wanted to have the technique work for me, so I took one piece and chopped it up into little 3/4" squares. Then I glued them to white card stock for a mosaic look with just a tiny bit of space between the squares.

Then I smooshed versamark ink all over the whole piece and embossed it with UTEE, which gives a real nice glaze. I stamped the sentiment on white and punched just the ends.

Since I was making a birthday card for my youngest, who turned legal today, I took a serrated knife and sliced up a wine cork and added a few slices to the card.

What's in it?
stamps: celebrate everthing (SU)
ink: yoyo yellow, only orange, real red, chocolate chip, jet black stazon, versamark
paper: real red, whisper white
other: copper leafing pen, clear UTEE, heat gun, wine cork, foam tape, curly label punch

Thanks so much for stopping by. Be blessed.

2 comments:

Starla said...

I love the look of this!! Kind of a modern/retro look? hehe

I think the white "squares" helps the color pop. (I cannot believe how perfectly you got all those squares to line up!)

Happy B-day to your "adult"

SmilynStef said...

Love that cool mosaic ... such great colors.