Saturday, July 24, 2010

alterations

Hi everyone. This is my second post today. I wanted to post this project while the details were still fresh in my mind. I started with a cardboard tube from crochet cotton and some cereal box chipboard. These tubes are really nice and sturdy, so I thought it would work well for a little box.

First I cut circles with my cuttlebug and circles nestabilities (spellbinders) to fit one end of the tube. I glued three together for stabililty and then glued that to the tube. I covered this with designer paper, both inside and out. I wanted to make a cover, so I again made circles and glued several together. I added some smaller ones to fit just inside the box, so the cover would stay in place. However, after I covered the cover with dp, it fit a little too snug inside the box for my liking. So, back to the drawing board.

The next size smaller circle die was too small, so I pulled out my old Fiskars circle cutter, which is adjustable, and used that. It's not quite as easy as using dies, but it did the job. I attached these circles to the opposite side of the cover, rather than starting all over, so now my cover has an extra layer on top. This second size worked perfect, fits without sliding around, but not too tight.

I used my Tim Holtz Sizzix flourishes die to cut some cardstock flourishes and added them around the sides.

The top needed a handle of some sort, but I didn't know what to use, so this project sat on the back burner while I worked on other things. I kept coming back to it, adding a bit of something, and then setting it aside again. Last night I finally figured out how to make a nice handle. I cut a strip of corrugated cardboard about 3/4" wide and rolled it up tight, gluing it all together. I then covered this with dp and yay - one nice handle. I just glued it to the top.

The butterflies are Martha Stewart punches, sponged on the edges with elegant eggplant ink and layered. I wrapped a bit of wire around the body and gave them antennae, but you have to look pretty close to see them.

I coated the entire outside of the box with a couple coats of Mod Podge, attached the butterflies with glue dots and I'm finally finished. This is my last project for the Dare to Get Dirty 2010 challenges on SCS. So now I can register for queen status and the prize drawing.

Thanks for visiting.

4 comments:

wwilloww said...

WOW!!!WOW!!! WOW!!! That is gorgeous Melody!!! Thanks so much for the instructions... you're a queen in my book!!! I am going to have to unravel some crochet thread and give this a try!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Diane said...

I checked out your blog after you left me Happy Birthday greetings today! Your work is fantastic! I love how you created this little container. It's such a work of art! Great use of materials!
Diane

Starla said...

Well worth the pondering on this one, Melody!! This turned out FABULOUS!!

Dona said...

I came to visit after you'd sent me a b'day card too : - >
I love your box... and I especially loved reading the directions, then scrolling for the big reveal. Your directions are so clear and thorough and the box is truly special. Thanks for the b'day thoughts and for the treat of visiting your blog!