Friday, October 29, 2010

paper flowers

Hi my friends. When I was growing up, we didn't have a lot, so we learned early how to make use of things that many people would toss into the garbage. Today, that's trendy. I love being able to make something instead of purchasing it, especially when it comes to crafting. So today, I made a paper flower for my card.

The Hope challenge on SCS today was Sentiments only - no other stamping allowed.

I pulled out a very old stamp by Artistic Stamp Exchange and stamped it in jet black stazon on saw grass cardstock (Neenah). I used nestabilities labels one to cut it out and sponged eggplant ink on it.

I used a piece of old world mat stack dp and embossed it with my textile embossing folder. A strip of saw grass was embossed with Swiss dots embossing folder.

I wrapped a piece of machine made bobbin lace (I have no idea why this is sold as 'crocheted ribbon', since the two types of lace are very different) and eggplant grosgrain ribbon around the card and attached the sentiment panel with dimensional tape.

The flower is made from the same cardstock, die cut with a small cuttlebug flower. I used five layers, because I didn't want a really full flower. Here is a video tutorial on making these flowers. I sponged mine with eggplant ink after I had formed the flower, but it was still wet. The leaves are a Martha Stewart punch, which I sponged with always artichoke ink and then used a stylus to add veins. I always snip off the stems before tucking them under the flower - just makes it a bit easier.

The butterfly (Martha Stewart punch) is two layers and the wings are popped up.

Thank you for stopping by today. Have a blessed weekend.

2 comments:

wwilloww said...

That's a beautiful card Melody!!! I love making my own flowers, so thanks also for the link to the video.

Starla said...

Love your flower!! The sponged edges just add to it!!
You've been very busy while my computer died!! Love the "sassy" boot, the framed poppies and the OLC (actually, I like all of your cards...those are just my favs!)