Saturday, October 23, 2010

time to sew

Hi everyone. It's a kinda gloomy day today here in SE Wisconsin. Just a little bit of rain, but cloudy all day. But the temperature has been mid-60's, so I'm not complaining.

Today's Hope challenge on SCS today was to use some sewing/stitching on our cards, and also a theme of being thankful for friends. As a quilter, this challenge really called my name. I actually made two cards, because the card I made for the inspiration challenge also fit the Hope challenge.

On my first card, I decided to use a spirelli circle for the stitching part. I love what these look like, and they really aren't that hard to make. You just have to pay attention to what you are doing so your stitches end up in the right holes. I used regular black sewing thread and a needle. I like the way this looks in comparison to heavier threads.

I was going to use a different stamp, but when I finished the spirelli, I realized that the image lines were too heavy and chunky to match the delicate threads of the spirelli. So, instead, I used my all time favorite SU stamp set, Natural Beauty. I stamped the images with tuxedo black memento ink and colored them with copic markers. The butterflies are cut out and the wings are raised with a bit of dimensional tape.

The little corner doodads are actually extra little pieces leftover from In Spades border die (spellbinders). I added some white gel pen dots and some sticky pearls. The sentiment is from Small Sayings (SU), punched out with my modern label punch.

My second card was inspired by this poster image. Since fall is my favorite season, making fall cards tend to be more fun and easy for me.

I pulled out a DCWV stack of designer paper (Indian Summer) and picked out some of the papers and punched out 1" squares. Then I adhere them to a piece of cardstock and die cut it with the largest die in my nested maple leaf (spellbinders). I glued the leaf to a piece of chocolate chip cardstock. For the corners, I used my harvest border die (spellbinders) and glued the tiny leaves and acorns on for added interest. I tied a piece of taupe hemp around the stem of the big leaf.

For the sentiment, since the leaf was like a quilt, I used a sentiment from Quilt Quips (SU), punched it out with a key tag punch and added a leaf die cut with the smallest die in the nested maple leaf set.

Thanks so much for stopping in today. I hope you are having a wonder-filled weekend.

1 comment:

Suzie said...

What great cards ... I love them both, but the card with the quilted maple leaf really "spoke" to me this morning even though I am a huge butterfly fan. It is cloudy and damp here in south central MN and very "fall-ish". Thanks so much for sharing these lovely cards.